Car appears to want to shut off when I brake...

BatMan

Reaction score
So it had been about a week since my car shut off on me and it did it yesterday around 1 P.M.

I had driven the car just fine in the morning for a small trip, no more than 2 miles around 11 a.m. then I drove it for maybe 3 miles to ELAC and parked it, got off, came back no more than 5 minutes later to it and turned it on then it shut off RIGHT AWAY, not stuttering or choking, nothing, it just shut off and would not turn on, after about 5 minutes it turned back on.

WTF. I want to get the MAIN RELAY but what if that's not the problem??? I can clearly hear the Fuel Pump engage....:confused:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
...I want to get the MAIN RELAY but what if that's not the problem??? I can clearly hear the Fuel Pump engage....:confused:

Are you saying you hear the fuel pump (2-3 second whine) EVERY time you go to start your car, even when it doesn't start?

Nismode

Reaction score
Are you saying you hear the fuel pump (2-3 second whine) EVERY time you go to start your car, even when it doesn't start?
Same with me...I hear that whine everytime I start my car. Granted, I haven't been driving my car recently, but when I was, I'd hear it. It also hasn't shut off on me recently.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
With a deteriorating main relay, it is possible for the fuel pump to still initiate and the car start, but usually it dies after the 1st time starting, such as mentioned by several people previously. (then it doesn't start at all and you have to let the car cool inside)

But to hear the pump engage EVERY time you start the car is not typical if your relay is going bad. So if you're hearing it every time but the car is dying after turning over...I question if your problem is main relay related.

BatMan

Reaction score
Ok, so recently my car had been shutting off on me more frequently and finally yesterday after work I went to turn it on and it shut off on me instantly; it wouldn't turn back on at all, I asked a co-worker to hear if the fuel pump engaged he said "NO"; so he proceeded to spray carb cleaner into the intake and it would start for 1 second then shut off so we concluded it was the Fuel Pump; I get towed home, walk to Autozone, spend $180 (Fuel Pump and Filter); replace it on my own, bam, I can hear it engage now.....BUT IT STILL SHUTS OFF ON ME, I took it for a spin, shut it off but when I turned it back on it keeps doing the same thing.

WTF.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
what's the weather like out there currently? temp? heat is the only downfall and thus, indicator, of a bad relay.

BatMan

Reaction score
what's the weather like out there currently? temp? heat is the only downfall and thus, indicator, of a bad relay.
hot. when my car wouldn't turn on anymore, thursday, i had left my car at my jobs parking lot all day with the windows up.

is the main relay the same as the fuel pump relay? yesterday after work it ran fine, i stopped by to drop off some movies, didn't turn off, stopped at another place, didn't shut off, got a haircut, left car out for about an hour, didn't shut off when i came back to turn it on....i'm f'ing lost man...it does it and then it doesn't do it. wtf.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The main relay is a small circuit box up under your dash to the left of the steering column. What happens is over time the solders on the factory relay (mostly made by Siemens) go bad and separate in high heat, thus cutting the current not allowing it to reach the fuel pump to initiate it. When the solders cool, they remeld and let current flow again.

Main relay problems happen in high heat situations in mid day, if your car starts okay in the early morning and late night...and if when it won't start you let it sit with the doors open for 5-10 minutes then it starts - your main relay is failing. This thing eludes people all the time because the problem is inconsistent. In the early stages temperature is the dead giveaway. Over time it becomes even more inconsistent because it is getting worse and you never know when it can happen. It sounds like you are reaching this point.

Give this a read: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14992

Back