Car wont start, immobilizer flashing

camjohns

Reaction score
Hello there,

So i went shopping the other day after driving the car 30 miles, and when i came back my car would not start!

I had it towed to my house, and looked through some things, and noticed that when i attempt to start my car the green immobilizer key on the instrument cluster is flashing. From my understanding this would only happen if i used an un authorized key in it which i haven't.

I have done a little looking around, and found that this happens when people install a remote start or something like that.

the only thing electrical that i have done is installed a new cd player a couple years ago.

Also within the last 6 months i have installed a new fuel pump and main switch relay, but wouldn't think that would cause an issue now.

thoughts?

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
Most likely going to be your ignition harness going bad (the wires behind your key hole)
It is a pretty straightforward job if you want to fix it yourself. Mine had the same issue, but I dont remember how much the new harness cost, but after I replaced it never had any more problem.

I think there is a write up somewhere here on the forum.

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
Yes, thats the harness I replaced on mine. The solder had cracked and would cause issues reading the key. Mine got so bad that it would turn off while I was driving and caused major hazards.

It could also be the actual lock but iirc there was a recall on those or something like that. I recommend trying to move the harness you have now and see if your car will start, I unplugged my harness then reattached it and it worked , but thats not a fix, just to make sure that it is the harness and not the lock.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you replace the ignition switch, here is the DIY: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22452

Below is a pic of the solder point that goes bad, fyi.

The culprit. Sniffed that solder point, definitely what I was smelling last night.

temporary_zpse3b0e00f.jpg

I have to cut into the black wire w/white stripe to splice in an additional wire due to my swap, previously it was soldered into it, but I've never soldered and need the car for work tomorrow I'm just going to strip more off the additional wire and wrap it around the ignition wire a few times and use electrical tape. It's on the harness plug end that goes into the back of the fuse box, so that will make it easier to clean up later if I find a connector or something.

camjohns

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

i have it all apart, and was wondering if it shows no signs of the solder going bad, can it still be bad?

camjohns

Reaction score
Well i gave it a shot, and still nothing. The green immobilizer light still flashes and yet does not start. Not sure what i am missing.

Battery has been checked and they recommended replacement in the near future. Its putting out 12.87 voltage, 608 cca rated at 750, but that should be enough to start it.

Spark plugs were put in last year
New fuel pump in july
new main relay switch in july
Evap system 2 years ago.

thoughts? is this a dealership issue?

camjohns

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts on what i should try next? The way i see it is that there seems to be 2 options, the transponder ring or the computer needs re-programed.

any other ideas?

twofast4u

Reaction score
my guess would be ecu. On my friends 03 civic, he had a similar issue. Apparently the immobilizer fried on the ecu. So he bought a used one and had Honda program it.

Back