Cat Converter

garebear911

Reaction score
I got a rattle under my car sumwhere and I think its the converter. I dont know what size or kind I need to get. I might as well go with a perfromance one. Any suggestions? 2000 coupe ulev vtec

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
^ not trying to be a dick, but has anyone honestly had a rattling heat shield on their cat?

i know my cat rattles, but thats cuz its beat and i need a new one, haha.

botang47

Reaction score
you sure its the cat? if you have a 4cyl, the downpipe(b-pipe perhaps?)has an internal pipe that has been known to come loose and rattle.

HomerJay

Reaction score
^ not trying to be a dick, but has anyone honestly had a rattling heat shield on their cat?

i know my cat rattles, but thats cuz its beat and i need a new one, haha.
I had a rattling heat shield. A few years after I had the shield replaced, I smacked my cat hard enough on a speed bump (when I first lowered my car) that the matrix must have split. At that point the matrix started falling apart and eventually caused a constant, annoying rattle.

I replaced the OEM cat with a Random Technology "high flow" cat. It was significantly less expensive than OEM. I have no idea if their performance claims are true or not. I changed the exhaust at the same time and didn't notice much of a difference other than the constant rattling problem was gone.

I bought the RT cat from www.ultrarev.com. Note that UltraRev is a store that requires signature so, if you order from them, make sure you have the order shipped where someone can sign for the package.

If you get an RT cat, you will need either an extension for the oxygen sensor or a new sensor with a longer cable. It is meant as a direct fit but the sensor bung moves enough that the OEM sensor won't reach.

garebear911

Reaction score
well i've had a few people tell me it was the cat and my maintenance light just came on. had it read and the guy said that was prolly it. then again, advance auto parts people dont know ****. but i think i'll just get a straight pipe off ebay. I live in sc and we dont do smog tests. and its ulev so it might pass one anyway.

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
well i've had a few people tell me it was the cat and my maintenance light just came on. had it read and the guy said that was prolly it. then again, advance auto parts people dont know ****. but i think i'll just get a straight pipe off ebay. I live in sc and we dont do smog tests. and its ulev so it might pass one anyway.

no straight pipe dude. they are horrible. They smell terrible, sound terrible, and they are really bad for the environment. get a magnaflow if you have to have a performance one. they run like 120 bucks

finch13

Reaction score
Dude, find the code and post the Pxxxx number here. Don't just go with what people say. If your cat is actually bad, you will not pass smog, I guarantee it. ULEV gets the ultra low emissions certificate because it uses a wideband primary O2 sensor and 32-bit ECU to better control the fuel mixture, thus creating less emissions.

Andy, what a noob, I've had a rattling cat heatshield too. You can buy replacement heatshields, but it's fine to run without the lower one, the upper one protecting the underbody is necessary, the cat gets EXTREMELY hot. If you rip off the lower one, don't park on tall grass or dry leaves, it's fairly possible that you could start a fire.

Back