Cat Converter

garebear911

Reaction score
You must spend a lot of money on unneeded parts.
nah not really, i just started buying stuff for it.
Anyways i got under that car and it was silver metal thing on top of the cat that rattles, which im guessing is the heat shield. so ya.
i noticed tho that when i tap the gas the meter goes up and then goes a little below idle and starts to shutter, then does it again, it lasts only about a second. anyone know what that is?

gen6slug

Reaction score
Re: Cat Converter - Retag DTC P1457

For props, the credit for this info goes to Drive Accord Honda Forums and Princess.
You are going to most likely have to replace the Vent Shut Valve These are a known issue. The originals don't handle wet weather well. In the North they fail quite quickly because of road salt. I just replaced mine after 18 months of CEL. For the 98-99 4cyl it's the following: Search for Honda Service Bulletin 01-011 June 26,2001.
EVAP Control Canister Vent Shut Valve:
P/N 17310-S0X-A02, H/C 6197370.

It's not all that hard to replace. But there is one issue The bulletin has pics to show where the part is. Disconnect hoses, drop the whole canister to access the 2 phillips screws holding the valve in place. THE ISSUE... You'll want to grab hold of the plastic canister posts with vice grips to keep the threaded metal insert from spinning when removing the almost guaranteed rusted screws. Don't squeeze too tight or you'll break the posts. Too loose and you'll let the insert spin. If the insert spins, you'll have to replace the whole canister because the inserts will fall out.

Back