CEL code

oneloudaccord

Reaction score
So my CEL light came on this morning. I jumpered the obd2 connector as stated in the CEL sticky on this forum and got 8 long lights and 6 short lights. this is what i got.

P0116 86 ECT Circuit Range Or Performance

Electronic Coolant Temperature sensor range/performance problem

Has anyone had this problem before? I'm planning on taking my car into Honda maybe Monday. I just wanna check up on here if anyone's had experience with this.

finch13

Reaction score
Replace the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor? Probably the easiest fix. I believe its just a 2 wire thermistor (like the coolant temp sending unit next to it). As it heats up, the resistance increases and tells the ECU the coolant temp.

Before you go and buy the new part you should inspect the wiring harness and make sure its not broken off. Use a multi meter to verify that the harness still has power (probably 5 or 12V reference signal) and continuity in the circuit.

If you really want to have someone else fix it I wouldn't bring it to Honda. You'll get overcharged for a simple fix.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Could be your thermostat or coolant temp. sensor. If its the only code your getting, then check the thermostat, it its bad, then replace. If not it could be that the sensor is bad.

edit. finch beat me to it.

oneloudaccord

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding my honda manual and I have a big test tomorrow for school. my CEL light for that code has been on for 3 days now. With an engine coolant temperature sensor problem, would i be facing an immediate danger to myself or my car by holding off for a few days? haha. I'm a noob in this area as this is the first time i've encountered this problem. ALSO, where would that sensor be located in my 01 v6 engine? I have an idea of where it MIGHT be, but I wouldn't know what to look for even if it was in front of my face. Sorry, I'm incompetent without that darn honda manual.

I used my obd2 reader and that's the only code showing up.

finch13

Reaction score
Front Cylinder Head, #8
13S840_E1001.gif

Honda calls it a "thermoswitch" for some reason, but it looks just like every other ECT sensor?

I believe the ECU relies on the ECT sensor for VTEC engagement and/or rev limiter (can't drive over 4k RPMs)

Last edited:
Back