CEL, won't rev past 4k...need help!

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Probably low oil. The problem of not being able to rev above 4k happens when you unplug the vtec oil pressure switch. Fill it with oil and check both your vtec solenoid, and vtec oil pressure switch.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
I had a similar issue that I put up with for almost a year. I was low on oil and the vtec solenoid was fine. Few days later the code and rev limiter kicked in again and sure enough, I was low on oil again. Turns out my motor had bad valve seals and a worn piston ring so it was just guzzling oil, I do alot of driving so it was about a quart or so a week. That ended up killing my cat and rear o2 sensor, then I couldn't pass emissions. Had to get a replacement motor... :(

Ralphie

Reaction score
I had a similar issue that I put up with for almost a year. I was low on oil and the vtec solenoid was fine. Few days later the code and rev limiter kicked in again and sure enough, I was low on oil again. Turns out my motor had bad valve seals and a worn piston ring so it was just guzzling oil, I do alot of driving so it was about a quart or so a week. That ended up killing my cat and rear o2 sensor, then I couldn't pass emissions. Had to get a replacement motor... :(

Oh man....this sounds so much like my issue its unreal.

Anyways thanks for all the replies..

i forgot that long blinks = 10.....so im a newbish rubbish bewb.

So i stopped by an autozone...they lent me their awesome code puller and i had 3 codes-

P1259- VTEC control system..bank malfunction
P0700- TCS-indicator lamp request
P1738- 2nd clutch tranny fluid pressure switch failure.

I checked motor oil and of course the stick showed 0....just two weekends ago i had at least half the stick in oil....i drive around 110m a day...so two weeks worth of driving = a good chance of really low oil.

So after i added oil and deleted the CELs, i drove home(54 miles)....it shifts fine....idles fine....and i can engage VTAHCHA and sail past 4k.

So now i want to find the culprit behind my fuu43g3 oil loss....if a new motor is in the works...or a rebuild....ill sadly be leaving this scene for a Fit.

Any suggestions?

I want to clean the IACV .....someone said a screen filter for VTEC?

any other ideas?

001Stunna

Reaction score

Just change both 2nd/3rd switches...they're quite easy to do and are preventative maintenance

As for the oil loss, put some oil dye in with your oil, and get under the car and clean any place that shows and sign of leaks/wetness etc with a rag and brake cleaner. Run the car for about 100km or so and get under with a black light/uv light and check for where a leak may be coming from.

If its not leaking out, its leaking inside the car...check if oil is present in your coolant/and if coolant is present in your oil.

Do a compression test on each cylinder, followed by a wet test as well.

Do you see any sort of blue smoke from your exhaust, maybe get someone to drive your car and drive behind them...or simply ask them to look while driving behind you.

Last edited:

Ralphie

Reaction score

So i stopped by an autozone...they lent me their awesome code puller and i had 3 codes-

I checked motor oil and of course the stick showed 0....just two weekends ago i had at least half the stick in oil....i drive around 110m a day...so two weeks worth of driving = a good chance of really low oil.

So after i added oil and deleted the CELs, i drove home(54 miles)....it shifts fine....idles fine....and i can engage VTAHCHA and sail past 4k.

So now i want to find the culprit behind my fuu43g3 oil loss....if a new motor is in the works...or a rebuild....ill sadly be leaving this scene for a Fit.

Any suggestions?

any other ideas?

Ralphie

Reaction score

Any suggestions?

any other ideas?

Ralphie

Reaction score
Just change both 2nd/3rd switches...they're quite easy to do and are preventative maintenance

As for the oil loss, put some oil dye in with your oil, and get under the car and clean any place that shows and sign of leaks/wetness etc with a rag and brake cleaner. Run the car for about 100km or so and get under with a black light/uv light and check for where a leak may be coming from.

If its not leaking out, its leaking inside the car...check if oil is present in your coolant/and if coolant is present in your oil.

Do a compression test on each cylinder, followed by a wet test as well.

Do you see any sort of blue smoke from your exhaust, maybe get someone to drive your car and drive behind them...or simply ask them to look while driving behind you.

No smoke, checked all plug cyl tonight and they were bone dry...no oil.

Ive already cleaned the underside of the car, namely the oil pan and the area of the tranny casing where the drain plug is and upon checking have seen no NEW oil or staining.

I could try the dye...not sure where to get that...never seen dye.

I also checked coolant tonight....no oil....nice bright green!!!

I guess ill look into the 2nd and 3rd switch, the screen filter for VTEC, and the IAC Valve.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I guess ill look into the 2nd and 3rd switch.

The switches are, one right under the distributor...and one is to the right and up from the tranny drain plug. They come in different color heads so you cannot mess them up with one another.

For the dye i bought mine at napa when i used it. Was 6.50$cad...i'm sure auto part stores would have it where you reside. Also i'd still reccomend doing a compression test (dry and wet)
As for the oil consumption, what grade are you using 5w30 or 5w20? dino or synthetic? maybe try high mileage oil?

Last edited:
Back