Clunk Over Bumps

stanleybb50

Reaction score
Alright... Been drivin me crazy... Hope all is well on here - been awhile since I posted!

When I hit a bigger type of rolling bump, or bigger like potholes/etc, I get an awful clunk noise... It started when I hit this certain bump on my commute on the right front... But the weird thing is that it started out making the noise on the right (when I hit a bump on the right).

NOW - when I hit that same bump on the right, I might hear the clunk (and feel a little) on the right OR the left/middle of my car in the front...

I had already changed the sway bar bushings -- I am almost certain it's not them...

One other thing to point out is that with my 5 speed, if I like kinda "mess up" a little and let the RPM's drop to a point and put a strain on the motor so it kinda shakes, I hear the same type of "clunking" noise... WTF?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Drift

Reaction score
A motor mount could be very, very loose. Have you put a wrench on everything under the car? Or even been underneath it too look for anything out of place?

stanleybb50

Reaction score
I'm gonna get under her tomorrow for an oil change... I'll try to take a good look around under there.

It's been doin this for about a month, but I haven't crawled underneath. I just peered from the top with the hood open and couldn't really spot anything weird...

But you're right, once underneath, I might be able to spot something. I'll take a good look tomorrow and post back.

Thanks!

Drift

Reaction score
I'm gonna get under her tomorrow for an oil change... I'll try to take a good look around under there.

It's been doin this for about a month, but I haven't crawled underneath. I just peered from the top with the hood open and couldn't really spot anything weird...

But you're right, once underneath, I might be able to spot something. I'll take a good look tomorrow and post back.

Thanks!

If you dont put a wrench on everything, at least grab it with a firm fist and give it a good shake.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Your not going to feel anything with 3000lbs on the suspension, if it really is something on the suspension. You need to get the front wheels off the ground and dig around with a crow bar and wedge suspect areas.

I would start out with motor mounts just because you say you replicate the sound with low rpms. You have bushings everywhere, so re-search and make sure you check them all.

Last edited:

stanleybb50

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I actually couldn't find ANYTHING wrong... I tried gettin a crowbar and all that.. Nothing "seemed" loose. The bushings all "seemed" fine... Even the steering rack bushings "seemed" fine...

But the noise is still there.

I might end up takin her to the dealership to get it diagnosed (or at least a local shop or something).

I'll report back if/when i figure it out so the question may be answered for someone else down the road.

supasnipa360

Reaction score
did you check balljoints? They can bounce up and down too. Might be hard to check with a crowbar. Make sure you cant fit a large flat head between the ball joint and lower control arms mount point...it does sound more like an engine mount though. Even if the engine mounts are all tight, internally the structure could be shot resulting in a lot of movement...

Back