cold start zzzzt noise

The Wicked One

Reaction score
hoping you guys might be able to help me diagnose this problem.

on cold mornings, below 40 degrees or so. when i start up the car there is a short and loud bzzzt noise that happens just after the car turns over and is about to start.

not really sure what else to say. i turn the key, it starts fine, other than the loud quick zzzzt noise and then everything seems to work fine. the car does give a slight jolt too.

any ideas?

nomocars23

Reaction score
same thing happens too me .. i think its just the car making wierd a$$ noises nothing to be worried about imo

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
mine only started doing it this winter...i have no idea what it is but it comes from the timing belt side of the engine, opposite of the starter's position.

i do know that my battery is ****...that might play a part

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
cold alternator? My alternator in my 96 avalon makes the same sound when its close to freezing outside. I wouldnt lose sleep over it though....try disconnecting your alternator belt before starting up in cold weather. If the noise went away then u know where it came from. If its still there, u know its not the alt.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Could it be the injectors maybe?? I have no idea to be honest, when it's real cold out my car makes different noises, but once it warms up its fine....

00accord91

Reaction score
mine does that too all the time...it kinda sounds like a power saw...but for like half a second.

The Wicked One

Reaction score
my suspicions where on the alternator too, because i first noticed it after attempting and deciding against doing the big 3 ground wire upgrades. sounds like its pretty common so i guess its nothing life threatening to the car.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
my car has an intake wine when it starts up... other than that... its ok... as long as it stops when it warms its ok... if its doing it while driving, thats a whole nother story

Back