Costco gas

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
gas is gas... the top tier gas companies just have a better filtration system and add additives to their gas

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I avoid BP because of issues between their fuel and GM vehicles in the early 2000’s. Owners of 00-02 Grand Ams/Alero’s and other vehicles were told by GM not to use BP gas as a result of problems that were reported and linked. My brother had an 01 Grand Am and my wife use to drive a 00 Alero, and they both notified way back when. Yet they could use any other gas no problem. Sure this may have changed in recent years, but hard to see them differently.

My cousin who is ridiculously talented with automotive engineering does studies with different fuels with all the cars he has sitting around, and he believes BP to be a lower grade gas as well. Which is good enough for me since he’s one of the biggest brainiacs I know and has infinite resources to test ****.

Oh, and all that “Invigorate” talk is nonsense btw. lol

slowrider87

Reaction score
lol you guys are funny. gas is gas. as long as you know how to work on your car and change the strainer (fuel filter, it's probably that time for all of you) then you should be fine. There is a government standard across the U.S for all gasoline refineries to meet a specific standard. Everything else you pay for is gimmicks. it's all BS marketing.

*sources* grandpa was an engineer

Question... how much has technology changed since your grandpa WAS an engineer?

Unfortunately the world revolves around money these days. A major fuel/oil company isn't going to waste millions or billions of dollars putting "gimmicks" in their fuel. And the smaller ones can't afford to. Hence why some fuel is better.

You are 100% right about the fact that the government has set standards that all refineries/companies must meet. All these hole in the wall stations, and wholesale stores do in fact meet the governments standards. But the government isn't perfect and neither are their fuel standards. The "top tier" companies were deemed top tier because they went above and beyond the standards the government spent millions on research and development, and created a more superior quality of fuel.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
Question... how much has technology changed since your grandpa WAS an engineer?

Unfortunately the world revolves around money these days. A major fuel/oil company isn't going to waste millions or billions of dollars putting "gimmicks" in their fuel. And the smaller ones can't afford to. Hence why some fuel is better.

You are 100% right about the fact that the government has set standards that all refineries/companies must meet. All these hole in the wall stations, and wholesale stores do in fact meet the governments standards. But the government isn't perfect and neither are their fuel standards. The "top tier" companies were deemed top tier because they went above and beyond the standards the government spent millions on research and development, and created a more superior quality of fuel.

Yes but if the standards set by the government have been researched for years and are strict then that. Means no matter what gas you get it shouldnt be harmfull for your car as long as it meets the government standard and is the right octane for your car as specified in your drivers manual.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Gas is gas, but I only do chevron. The funny thing to me is there's one chevron that is near my house which sets its gas price at 3.87 and one 2 minutes away always has their 10 cents less, kinda wired imo. My cousin once said when he used Costco gas it threw a CEL and all he had to do was add some octane booster and it went well from there.

slowrider87

Reaction score
Yes but if the standards set by the government have been researched for years and are strict then that. Means no matter what gas you get it shouldnt be harmfull for your car as long as it meets the government standard and is the right octane for your car as specified in your drivers manual.

touche' sir... touche' I guess i was just trying to define the line between fuel, and top tier fuel.
with gil's input we are back where we started...

is there a such thing as bad gas? In theory.. no.

so lets look beyond the gas itself. are the horror stories people hear about all from specific stations or an entire company? Me personally i've only ever heard things about specific stations. awaiting others input...

if it is specific stations then what chances are the gas was fine when it got there. and became contaminated there or during shipment. Old, rusted, or poorly maintained holding tanks, destroyed, bad, outdated filtration systems.

Don't fill up at sketchy run down po-dunk stations you should be fine. at least a big company like costco has the money to reimburse repairs.

Chorilored

Reaction score
I only get costco gas (91 octane rating), imo its good. got nothin to back it up, but i believe what my AST professor said a while back. that gas comes from the same distillers, only that “top teir” gas companys add their additives to make it “better”. Its all very similar. Anyway its tested periodicly for the right amount of reactants.:driving:

Bax

Reaction score

That's like saying "Food is food"
Think of it like this, yes, you will be just as full from a hot dog as you will from a nutritious salad, but which is going to be better for your body in the long run? The hot dog isn't going to initially hurt you, so therefore at the MOMENT you think either are the same, i'll get the cheaper hot dog, because I will be just as full... but the salad is definitely going to treat you better in the long run. Even though both are food and are made for you to eat, the salad is going to be used by your body more efficiently than the hot dog.

Just because something is "standard" doesn't mean it's the best. If the Top Tier companies had the same grade gas as the small businesses had, then in this solely competition based economy, why would they charge more? You usually get what you pay for. And I also have noticed I get better mileage from Chevron than I do from this local convenient store down the road.

Chorilored

Reaction score
Think of it like this, yes, you will be just as full from a hot dog as you will from a nutritious salad, but which is going to be better for your body in the long run? The hot dog isn't going to initially hurt you, so therefore at the MOMENT you think either are the same, i'll get the cheaper hot dog, because I will be just as full... but the salad is definitely going to treat you better in the long run. Even though both are food and are made for you to eat, the salad is going to be used by your body more efficiently than the hot dog.

Just because something is "standard" doesn't mean it's the best. If the Top Tier companies had the same grade gas as the small businesses had, then in this solely competition based economy, why would they charge more? You usually get what you pay for. And I also have noticed I get better mileage from Chevron than I do from this local convenient store down the road.

valid analogy, but is it chicken salad? lol

As for chevron, Its probably a placebo effect:jarred:

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score

im not saying its the best im just saying that it shouldnt be harmfull for your car no matter how "bad" people think it is. Costco is a BILLION dollar company there is no way they are going to risk losing that over not following nation wide gas standards. I believe some people dont maintain their cars properly then want to blame things on gas or oil or other things like that. My favorite gas is SUNOCO they even have high octane gas at a lot of their locations but guess what, gas prices have gone up so i can no longer afford it and now ive been getting my gas at costco for over a year and have had no problems at all but ive sure saved hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:
Back