crazy timing belt story

intel0116

Reaction score
so I thought id post a crazy story that I found out today about my car. basically today while I was driving my timing belt snapped off, and I had to have the car towed to the shop. I get there and give the guy a thumbs up to do a full timing belt job after he tells me that my valves and pistons were not damaged. so I get home and I ask my dad if he ever changed the timing belt when he owned the car, he said "come to think of it, no I never did, and actually I never did any of the scheduled maintenance on that car. so basically the car is sitting at the shop with 201,000 miles and change, with the same water pump, tensioner, drive belts, cam seals, spark plugs, ignition coils and thermostat, as the day it was sold brand new with 45 miles in the summer of 2001. i could not believe it, but i checked the maintenance records to confirm and low and behold it was true, so i guess i am to blame just as much as anyone because i put 90k miles on the car, i just assumed that my dad did it all at 100k. don't get me wrong, i did all the fluid changes on time, brake jobs, even did the trans and motor mounts, and none of the shops i took it to before told me the belts needed to be changed. and to stir the craziness up more, everything was 100% original until 170,000 miles, that's when stuff started to go out. But the car dident even sound bad, i always thought that if the belts were bad youd hear it a good while before they snapped. i cant believe the car ran so dam long like that, and i cant believe that i dident f up any valves or pistons when it broke. and to think when i get it back Thursday its still gona be running strong.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
cool-story-bro.jpg

Hope all is well when it's out of the shop and on the road!

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Lol. Expect a phone call when he gets the head off. It's an interference motor, it would take a miracle to not bend a valve when the belt breaks on our cars.

Back