Cylinders 1-5 Misfiring!

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Got a new problem in addition to this one and didn't want to start a new thread.
Details in post #8

So today I was putting on these transmission solenoids and in order to get to the parts I pulled the battery and intake tube thing (stock).

I got the part on and when I went to put it back together I grabbed the intake tube and some oil spilled out of it. It appears to be inside the smaller pipes on the bottom of the main tube.

The oil inside the intake looked new and I just changed the oil so that must mean it's still sucking up oil somehow.

It's my daily so I'm going to have to clean it out and put it back on.

It must not be normal so what could be the cause(s) and how can I fix this??

Also, it's a V6

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Oil Inside Intake

It's probably coming out of the valve cover. Unless it's a large amount I wouldn't worry that much about it. Check your PCV valve to see if it's clogged.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score

I'll check the valve cover as well as the PCV valve. If I had to guess, it was probably about half a cup or less of oil.

jwong512

Reaction score

I would check your PCV valve to see if it's needs replacing. I would also check your EGR valve to make sure it's not clogged because if it is, I would assume it would try to all ventilate out somewhere and the last one would be the intake vacuum hose.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score

I'll check those hopefully tomorrow or Sunday. How much harm is it doing right now??

AZmike

Reaction score

I don't see how the EGR system could contribute to this problem. The EGR valve controls the flow from the exhaust to the intake--the crankcase is not involved.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score

So it's most likely the pcv? Where's it located and how do I change it? It's like a $5 part.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score

Finally got around to buying a pcv valve, $5+tax and took about five minutes to change. Haven't checked the intake for oil yet, it wasn't much oil though, maybe <5 tablespoons.

New problem.
Check engine light came on yesterday so I got that scanned as well.
It pulled codes for a bad cat con and codes for cylinders 1-5 misfiring and a random misfire. Put the pcv valve on and it idled a little smoother but the engine shakes a little when I look at it. Changed the spark plugs a few months ago and it's an 02 so the wires are different.

I'm thinking it might be a fuel related problem like low pressure or something. The light came on last week randomly and when I got gas after work it turned off, thought the gas cap unloosened. When it came back on the other day I tightened the gas cap but no luck.
Should I clean out the EGR? I read that could be another cause.

Last edited:

AccordUser

Reaction score
New problem.
Check engine light came on yesterday so I got that scanned as well.
It pulled codes for a bad cat con and codes for cylinders 1-5 misfiring and a random misfire. Put the pcv valve on and it idled a little smoother but the engine shakes a little when I look at it. Changed the spark plugs a few months ago and it's an 02 so the wires are different.

I'm thinking it might be a fuel related problem like low pressure or something. The light came on last week randomly and when I got gas after work it turned off, thought the gas cap unloosened. When it came back on the other day I tightened the gas cap but no luck.
Should I clean out the EGR? I read that could be another cause.

had the same problem a few years back, 2 years i think. started with a simple p0420 code. then it went to p0420 and random misfire. then it went to p0420, random misfire and multiple cylinder misfire. unless your car is undrivable, id suggest you wait until something breaks. p0420 is an undiagnosable code. so far ive replaced a cat, cleaned egr, replaced egr gasket, cleaned IM and TB and replaced both gaskets, replaced pcv and pcv grommet, used seafoam, used multiple fuel injector cleaners. i got tired of throwing money at it, so im gonna wait. occasionally it will stall out when i try to start it but thats occasionally. word to the wise, EVENTUALLY, THE CULPRIT WILL BREAK, AND WHEN IT DOES, ILL BE THERE!!!! goodluck though

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
So what's causing the misfires?
It's driving like normal, had a slightly rough idle but the pcv valve fixed that.
Did you change the o2 sensors? On the slip they gave me with the codes it said that could also be a problem with the p0420 which is what I have along with the misfire codes.

The codes I'm throwing are:
P0420-Catalyst efficiency below threshold
P0300-Random misfire detected
P0301-Cylinder #1 misfire detected
P0302-Cylinder #2 misfire detected
P0303-Cylinder #3 misfire detected
P0304-Cylinder #4 misfire detected
P0305-Cylinder #5 misfire detected

Back