Defouler question

kamozee

Reaction score
Re: The i4's with a DC Sports Stainless Steel Header

So I plan to get the oxygen sensor extension from Password JDM. Then I will replace my upstream oxygen sensor with a Denso o2 sensor. Going to match this with a Magnaflow catalytic converter. Anyone think I should get an OEM catalytic converter instead?

x27arab27x

Reaction score

my buddy works at a muffler shop and 9 times out of 10 they have to come back and spend a freakin fortune to buy a new oem cat and pass smog. although thats only cali. if u can get away with it i would go for it.

kamozee

Reaction score

I'm not sure how Ontario (Canada) emissions compares with Cali. I've heard California is pretty stringent

My whole thing is if I should spend the coin getting an oem cat or I could get a magnaflow cat for performance. Would the oem cat reduce performance that much? On the other hand there is no point in having a performance cat if I can't pass the smog testing with it.

I currently cai, header, cat-back exhaust and a bored-out magnaflow (basically test pipe now). The failure of my previous magnaflow cat makes me think to go the oem route. Then again my magnaflow could have failed because I did not have an upstream oxygen sensor installed because I did not have knowledge of the oxygen sensor extension (hence the reason for starting this thread)

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score

So wait.....does it have an o2 bung or not?? Where did you get it from??

kamozee

Reaction score

So wait.....does it have an o2 bung or not?? Where did you get it from??

I'm not exactly sure if it has a bung or not. I've had it since '03 and I bought it on ebay. The shop that installed it must have not known anything about the extension. My car was running fine with the oem cat and only one oxygen sensor - no CEL. But after my oem cat had the dent in it and even after I got the magnaflow installed I've been having a CEL code.

kamozee

Reaction score

No I'm from Toronto

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'm not exactly sure if it has a bung or not. I've had it since '03 and I bought it on ebay. The shop that installed it must have not known anything about the extension. My car was running fine with the oem cat and only one oxygen sensor - no CEL. But after my oem cat had the dent in it and even after I got the magnaflow installed I've been having a CEL code.

Ok..let me step in here for a sec...

You can't have just one o2 sensor plugged in and not throw a CEL. You have to have 2 to not throw a CEL, one obviously is in the cat, the other is obviously upstream from that in the downpipe. Do us/yourself a favor, jack the car up and crawl underneath and take a look. Don't just order an extension b/c you're not sure if you need it or not. If you have to order one, order it from summit racing, its cheaper than password.

What's the CEL code you have now. Just get a magnaflow/oem cat, they're essentially the same thing. Magnaflow just claims more "performance".

kamozee

Reaction score

It's the P0420 code last time I checked. I found the extension on ebay as the cheapest price as well

I'll check it out on the weekend and keep you guys posted

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ugh...just do the defouler trick. /thread

Back