DIY: Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge

yellowfever

Reaction score
retroshark said:
no offense but vtec isnt that important any more. most car companies have their equivilant (BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, VW) in fact, hondas vtec (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is now more outdated compared to systems such as toyotas VVTI. you could add a light for VTEC but even in the cae of the write up on that site, it has no purpose. unless you are runnig a "vtec controller" or you have full enginemanagement and want to set the rpms at which vtec engages, you really dont need a light to show vtec. even if you just want to know you are "in" VTEC, it still makes no difference because you cant really do anything to change it. back when vtec first came out it was the top of the line engines at honda that had it. now, every honda has it, and more omportantly, it has been refined. most cars actually have the same system but under a different name.

if u had a bimmer or benz then i dont think you would be bragging about your valve timing of all things and if you have a toyota then you proboly have a subscription to "martha stewart living" and if you have a VW then ur to busy saying "V Dub yo". So for those of us who love our hondas (not you obviously :rofl: )and have dreams of them ruling the streets then yes "vtec" will always be our battle cry! And if you dont think that then go tear your solenoid out and mail it to me and ill mail you back a tampon which u can use in its place. vtec? yes please!

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yellowfever said:
if u had a bimmer or benz then i dont think you would be bragging about your valve timing of all things and if you have a toyota then you proboly have a subscription to "martha stewart living" and if you have a VW then ur to busy saying "V Dub yo". So for those of us who love our hondas (not you obviously :rofl: )and have dreams of them ruling the streets then yes "vtec" will always be our battle cry! And if you dont think that then go tear your solenoid out and mail it to me and ill mail you back a tampon which u can use in its place. vtec? yes please!

the vtec in these comuter cars is a type of "economy vtec". you cant even barely know when your in vtec in these cars unless you know when to listen for it and if you have an intake. retro's post is very true also, most every other comany has its equivilent to vtec these days, and then new vtec in the rsx-s' and si's isnt that great either. this was an instructional post. if anyone wanted to put one in their cars. lets try to keep the arguing out of it? yea, sounds good to me. especially from a post from over almost a year and a half ago. also, volkswagen owners dont go around saying that :thumbsup: ....just so you know, and do you really think supra owners have a subscription to martha stewart living? haha.

aackshun

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
volkswagen owners dont go around saying that :thumbsup: ....just so you know, and do you really think supra owners have a subscription to martha stewart living? haha.

Yes they do, my friend has a Passat and says it about every other sentence, so everytime he says "V-DUB yo" I say "VTEC YO!"

Well does "O" count for martha stewart living? If so then, I know two supra owners (3 if you want to include the girl). :rofl: Seriously, I'm not kidding.

And yes VTEC may be old but it's fine with me, who says all new things are better anyways? and since when does old things suck? (I'm not saying the VTEC in the 6thgens are the best thing ever either).

yellowfever

Reaction score
aackshun said:
Yes they do, my friend has a Passat and says it about every other sentence, so everytime he says "V-DUB yo" I say "VTEC YO!"

Well does "O" count for martha stewart living? If so then, I know two supra owners (3 if you want to include the girl). :rofl: Seriously, I'm not kidding.

And yes VTEC may be old but it's fine with me, who says all new things are better anyways? and since when does old things suck? (I'm not saying the VTEC in the 6thgens are the best thing ever either).
amen brother

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
I wanted to add something to this thread, since I just did one of these installs. If the OP or a mod could add it to the original post it would probably help someone who comes across it.

If you have the F23a4 with the ULEV emissions then the wiring to the ecu is different. The pin connector isn't the same and unfortunately I didn't figure out which wire was the right one, so I tapped into the harness in the engine bay, but I'm sure you could find the wire if you looked. The oem o2 sensor has four colors that attach to the computer. Red, blue, white, and white/black. The white/black wire is the one which actually sends the volt signal. Hope this helps!

mraw112

Reaction score
These will not work on ULEV. When I tried the took hook up the blue wire mod in neo this is what i found out. The o2 sensor sends 2 voltages to the ecu. I believe the ecu uses the differences between the red and the blue wire. When I hooked up a volt meter to the each wire while the car was at idle the red wire would had an output of around -1.75v and the blue wire would whould have an output of like +2.2 volts. take the difference and it gives you .45. stoichiometric . When I messed with the tuning and make it run rich and lean, the red wire was usually the one that changed voltages. but some times they both changed.

If you really want to hook one of those up on a ulev car, then you could use the cat o2 sensor. Those guages really dont even tell you anything. Ive heard they just bounce around. If you need a wideband o2 reader check out 14point7.com I use it and it works great

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
These will not work on ULEV. When I tried the took hook up the blue wire mod in neo this is what i found out. The o2 sensor sends 2 voltages to the ecu. I believe the ecu uses the differences between the red and the blue wire. When I hooked up a volt meter to the each wire while the car was at idle the red wire would had an output of around -1.75v and the blue wire would whould have an output of like +2.2 volts. take the difference and it gives you .45. stoichiometric . When I messed with the tuning and make it run rich and lean, the red wire was usually the one that changed voltages. but some times they both changed.

If you really want to hook one of those up on a ulev car, then you could use the cat o2 sensor. Those guages really dont even tell you anything. Ive heard they just bounce around. If you need a wideband o2 reader check out 14point7.com I use it and it works great

Really, ULEV is pissing me off. Do you think it's going to go into limp home mode after seeing the rich mixture caused by the fmu I'm going to use, since it's a wideband o2?

Back