DIY LED clock light (w/ pics)

thejameshimself

Reaction score
^^^^ i really like how yours came out..whered you get the led's to do that?..

i've ordered from two places so far:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm
located in the us - fast shipping - a bit more expensive
they also carry alot of wedge bulbs too, which you can us as a direct replacement for the old bulbs (no soldering or resistor madness).
their 360 degree leds are cool too

http://besthongkong.com/
chinese - takes a while to ship but really cheap
the leds are rated brighter but i can't tell much of a difference

Freedom_Fighter

Reaction score
alright cool man thanx...today i got some led from radio shack and trying to try out doing the clock first i already took apart and saw where the light bulbs are for the climate but i cant even set up wires on the led....soldering is kinda hard for me..

thejameshimself

Reaction score
did you use the wedge bulbs for your climate?.

nope, i used 5mm leds, resistors, some perforated board, a dremel, and a crapload of 5 minute epoxy.

also, if you want it to come out white you're going to have to remove the defusors in the buttons and use acetone to get the tint off the back of the dials... check out talons thread it's got lots of good info:

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2642

oh, and remember different color leds are rated at different voltages

lyttleviet

Reaction score
mine doesnt light up at all... I even replaced the bulb.. I think its because a fuse or something...

thejameshimself

Reaction score
mine doesnt light up at all... I even replaced the bulb.. I think its because a fuse or something...

i'm pretty sure its the same circuit as either the speedo or odometer so if either one of those don't work you probably blew a fuse

wats epoxy?..and was that to fill the space in between so the leds wont fall thru?..

google... it's kinda like a glue and i don't feel like going into how i did the ac controls in the clock light thread.

i'll throw up a new thread on how i did it when i get some time... i'm fairly swamped with school at the moment

cliffsta

Reaction score
So has anybody used a stock bulb with a different color diffuser (ie BLUE instead of the factory white-ish / green-ish of my 99) ? I just replaced the bulb and I figured with it out I would make it glow something different.

Or would this simply not work because the stock bulb is yellow and the diffuser is already blue?

Last edited:

Freedom_Fighter

Reaction score
does anyone know if the intrusmnet cluster/gauge leds on superbrightlds works for the climate controls?...they have the twist caps wit em already so no need to solder..

Back