DIY oil catch can PCV system

turboaccord98

Reaction score
Disclaimer: Do not do this if you are not mechanically inclined or do not have patience. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your car. Expect to modify things and use some creativity when tackling something like this.

As most of you know I just recently installed my turbo and got it tuned. Turbo cars experience very high crank case pressures compared to naturally aspirated cars so the stock POsitive Crank case Ventilation(PCV) system would not cut it for me. One of the hints that brought me to do this mod was that my dipstick would pop up and sit about a quarter inch higher than where it should normally sit. Also one of the seals in the valve cover that goes around the tube that holds the spark plug had leaked oil into it.

I do not have very detailed instructions on this DIY so if you guys have any questions please feel free to PM me or ask in this thread. Most of it is pretty strait forward though.

Materials Needed:
-Tap for whatever size pipe threads you choose on your fittings. I used 1/2 NPT fittings.
-Six aluminum fittings with -8 AN threads on one side and 1/2 NPT threads on the other. You could also use all brass barb fittings instead and rubber hose which would be way cheaper.
-Aluminum water bottle
-K&N breather filter push on made for GM cars. This doesn't actually fit so you have to get a knife and cut rubber out from the bottom to make it fit over the top of the bottle. Works perfectly though after cutting.
-10 feet of -8 hose.
-Drill with bit big enough to start tapping your holes. I used a 1/2 inch and just used a round file to make them big enough.
-Three 90 degree -8 AN swivel fittings.
-Three -8 straight AN fittings.

The can.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

One thing to be careful of before drilling your holes in the valve cover is MAKE SURE THERE IS CLEARANCE WHERE YOU ARE DRILLING. Mark where you think the hole should go and check and double check the valve-train and valve cover bolts to make sure the fitting will clear. If you do not do this your fittings will not fit and possibly damage valve-train components.

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Excellent work, also very clean looking IMO. Were three lines necessary though, or did you just guess?

turboaccord98

Reaction score
I think it was necessary but it was mostly a guess. Most setups I've seen run 2 -10 AN lines off the valve cover and I had -8's so I thought it would be better to use an extra one just to be safe.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
looks good but you just totally ruined your whole PCV system. in order to work correctly the pcv valve needs to see vacuum from the intake manifold. I was originally going to do a similar set up until NVA-AV6 from v6p (the guy doing dreman's turbo K swap) informed me that there would be issues with my rings seating properly and other crankcase pressure related issues.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
looks good but you just totally ruined your whole PCV system. in order to work correctly the pcv valve needs to see vacuum from the intake manifold. I was originally going to do a similar set up until NVA-AV6 from v6p (the guy doing dreman's turbo K swap) informed me that there would be issues with my rings seating properly and other crankcase pressure related issues.

correct...i was told NEVER to disconnect the stock line from VC to IM..shop told me to disconnect it ASAP.
theres 2 correct ways of doing it..but i forgot.so i just took it off..but i dont have any issues.

turboaccord98

Reaction score
Considering the fact that I am no longer using a PCV valve I do not understand the problem. I realize that the valve is operated on vacuum and its basically a controlled vacuum leak but it opens up to vent crank case gases when you are on the throttle. The reason it is being dumped into the intake manifold is A).The valve is controlled by vacuum. B).For emissions purposes the gases are recirculated so they do not pollute the atmosphere.

So, if the PCV valve's only job is to vent crank case pressure, that is already taken care of because after all thats what my setup is doing. There has to be something that either I or you do not understand if there actually is a problem with my setup. Unless that is you do understand and you aren't telling me what the problem is. I am glad you are trying to help and giving me info but "because he said so" isn't good enough. I need someone that knows what they are talking about and understands this.

This is the reason I put this on the DIY. It is a subject that is rarely talked about so when I did mine I was basically in the dark. I PMed IHAZSnail because he had a similar setup but I never got any info from him. Other than that I've never seen a setup like this on an F23. I know there is a way to make my setup work(if it is actually flawed like you say it is). I have been researching the subject but can't find anything good. Please if you have info let me know.

Last edited:
Back