DRL Talk

nsjames

Reaction score
I want DRL's because OH recently made it mandatory to have front lights on when your windshield wipers are on. I usually forget, and it is something that they will pull you over for.

I have highly considered just hacking up some LED's and mounting them down in the bumper air intake, audi/mercedes style. Where are we on the automatic lighting option? I could easily wire them to be on whenever the ignition is, but I'd like them to go off in Park like the factory ones.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I want DRL's because OH recently made it mandatory to have front lights on when your windshield wipers are on.

They did? lol Well I'll probably treat this the same way I treat the front license plate law, which is go **** yourself. Worthless legislation.

nsjames

Reaction score
They did? lol Well I'll probably treat this the same way I treat the front license plate law, which is go **** yourself. Worthless legislation.

yeah it's silly, but I usually forget, so some DIY DRLs would save me the headache of ever geting pulled over.

the seatbelt ticket I caught a few years back was $75, I imagine te headlights and wipers ticket is about the same.

Ralphie

Reaction score
Im very interested in this.

Not sure why everyone hates them, but probably because it is mandatory for you canucks to have them....

i personally think it makes any car(almost) look more aggressive and it has function as well.

The problem i have is that i want DRL and my high beams to be functional.

Im not doing the retrofit right now so i still want to retain my high beams...

Im not sure yet if ill need them since im installing HIDS soon but i dont want to need them and not have them.

Good work, Mike!

nsjames

Reaction score
so I started reading up on the hammstar unit and found a decent writeup.

http://blog.machanon.net/index.php?...unning-lights-DRL-on-your-USDM-Acura-RSX.html

It's pretty thorough with the wiring guide. It could easily be adapted to the 6th gen. Instead of powering the high beam bulb though I think i'd do some LED lights or something. I think it might be worth emailing Hammstar and seeing if the DRL module cold drive some LED's directly, it would cut a lot of the cost and complexity out of the install. Then it just fits in with all of the LED light strip mods.

I also found some people saying that the local carquest can order these relays for $35. for $35 and some LED light strips it's not worth coming up with a cutom relay unit or anything.

Last edited:

Narftastic

Reaction score
So instead of getting a DRL kit is it posible to just connect or disable some wire were that you can just turn the highbeams on with out the regular beam turning on?

cjsaccord

Reaction score
So instead of getting a DRL kit is it posible to just connect or disable some wire were that you can just turn the highbeams on with out the regular beam turning on?

Last time I checked the high beams and headlights go through a computer so it would be impossible I tried it and blew a fuse. The best way to do it/ cheapest way was to buy a oem fog light switch, a relay from auto zone, 2 headlight sockets from the junk yards from any accord and install and solder the wires from the relay to the fog light switch and woo lah you have high beam fog lights :thumbup:

Narftastic

Reaction score
Last time I checked the high beams and headlights go through a computer so it would be impossible I tried it and blew a fuse. The best way to do it/ cheapest way was to buy a oem fog light switch, a relay from auto zone, 2 headlight sockets from the junk yards from any accord and install and solder the wires from the relay to the fog light switch and woo lah you have high beam fog lights :thumbup:

damnit!!!!!!:ughrun:

thanks man lol

Mikey

Reaction score
high beam fog lights :thumbup:
I think that term is a little misleading. They'd just be lowbeam lights, in the highbeam location. And I dont know that Id consider that a DRL. Low beams have the cap so as to disperse light away from on-coming drivers. The high beams dont have said cap, hence the brighter light. If you just put 9006 bulbs in a the high beam spot, they'd be lowbeams without the cap, so, unless you aimed all the way down, they'd just be low beams, not DRLs.

Actual DRLs run a bulb at a lower wattage. I dont remember exact numbers, but it's like 1/3 of the normal wattage. Thusly, they're dimmer and wont blind on-coming drivers. They can also be bright enough to drive at dusk/dawn until it gets completely dark outside.

I like the idea and look of DRLs, but I think Id rather just go with fog lights instead.

Love the sig btw. Si wheels ftw.

Back