Engine doesnt respond to throttle input. Bogs down and dies

JackOalltrade

Reaction score
I had the same issue and symptoms a year ago when I was rebuilding the motor and tranny. Spent a lot of time and money on parts trying to remedy the situation.
It turned out to be a simple mistake. I just switched the TPS and MAP sensor connectors. They are the same connectors and in really close proximity. Why Honda?!?!
If you've removed your TB, make sure you've reconnected everything properly. Check the manual , if you have one, for the wire colors. If not, I can check when I get home later.
Hope it helps.
Long time prowler... first time posting.

Meant2Live

Reaction score
I doubt its a connector mixUp, as the problem began when i was driving. But will look into it.
The TPS was cleaned up along with the TB. Will open up the dizzy for the rev-sensor today.

And about MIL, when i had a faulty knock sensor, i didnt get a light, so it mIght be something similar.
Where is the Knock sensor located?
Thanks a lot for the help

maximus2k

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem on my 1998 4 cylinder EX. Cold start ups take forever and after driving the car it will idle at about 1600 rpm when placed in Park or Neutral. Does yours also do this?

Edit: checked my ECT sensor and was unplugged!! Plugged it back in and it fixed everything! Lol

Last edited:

laviathan222

Reaction score
I'm having the exact revving issue. At light throttle i can get up to 5,500K Wide open throttle it drops down to 4K but doesn't die. It runs fine just wide open throttle it gets really boggy and my intake sounds like a great white buffalo... hahaha

Meant2Live

Reaction score
Turns out its my MAP sensor is faulty. Looking around for a replacement right now. Will update here when I get it :eusa_wall:

Back