Engine Internals

Stanley9875

Reaction score
hey everybody, I've owned an Accord for a couple months now, its a J30A1 (aka a V6), and its an automatic (unfortunantly). I was going to invest in a Dr. Evil tranny, since I dont have the time or money to swap it to a 5 or 6 speed. Anyways, the question I had... is there a website or someplace that has upgraded engine internals so my engine can take a little more abuse? Like for upgraded pistons and rings (I think i found a good set on eBay Motors, its titled, "2997CC ACCORD EX LX J30A1 VTEC PISTON & RINGS 6795-20" so tell me if thats a good investment or not) connecting rods, valves, or valve springs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

iHazSnail

Reaction score
Dr. Evil trany is FARR more expensive than a swap PLUS it might make you hate yourself since the shifting on it makes you feel like the trans wants to jump out of the car.
What kind of abuse are you talking about? boosting it? going NA? You could call CP, Crower, Eagle and such companies and ask them if they offer something for the J30 and i am such someone does. Order it off from them. Remember, a lot depends on what do you want to do with it and what your power goals are.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
You should go six speed, mostly b/c there is no 5 spd for the J series, but also b/c controling your trans(three pedals) is so much more fun. Honestly I would not attempt to build on a J30A1, but rather swap in a J32A2 or maybe even go for a J35xx which is probably becoming more and more common. J32A2+6MT=FTW!!

Stanley9875

Reaction score
Yea, the problem is I am going to a 2 year college... UTI, and I won't have the time to do a total swap, because after I have school in the morning, I have work right after, then after that I have to study, so there wont be any time for me to do a swap, or not have a car because of a swap, so for now I cant do anything "super" with my engine. Maybe a simple bolt-on and stuff, but for 2 years I can't do anything major to it. I'd love to tackle the "swap the motor and swap it to a 6 speed" but as of now I dont have the time or money.

But i definently want a new tranny for it. Anyone have other tranny suggestions that will make the shifting on it better?

Also by the word "abuse" I mean not like "taking it to a race track" abuse, more like "if someone challenges me at a light" every once in a while abuse. And if I do stick with that engine I did find a supercharger kit for it. So that kind of abuse.

So overall... Any suggestions on a new tranny?

-$tanley

turboputz

Reaction score
Well if you want to run the Comptech SC, you should add at least a tranny cooler as insurance.

Keep the boost low and don't abuse it. It may last for a bit. Then again it may not.
The 6GA V6 auto is a notorious weak spot.:boohoo:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Yea, the problem is I am going to a 2 year college... UTI, and I won't have the time to do a total swap, because after I have school in the morning, I have work right after, then after that I have to study, so there wont be any time for me to do a swap, or not have a car because of a swap, so for now I cant do anything "super" with my engine. Maybe a simple bolt-on and stuff, but for 2 years I can't do anything major to it. I'd love to tackle the "swap the motor and swap it to a 6 speed" but as of now I dont have the time or money.

But i definently want a new tranny for it. Anyone have other tranny suggestions that will make the shifting on it better*?

Also by the word "abuse" I mean not like "taking it to a race track" abuse, more like "if someone challenges me at a light" every once in a while abuse. And if I do stick with that engine I did find a supercharger kit for it. So that kind of abuse.

So overall... Any suggestions on a new tranny?

-$tanley

*Change the Tranny fluid every other time you change the oil. But that really depends on the number of miles you have. I have 231,xxx I change mine every three oil changes. If I were you I would just "patch it up" until you finish school.

I/H/E for starters and the trans. cooler that somebody else mentioned if you really insist though. But don't expect much out of them. :) hope this helps

TheHunter

Reaction score
A 6 speed is your best option transmission wise. What you should do, since you're in the same boat as me, is hold off on the swap until you have a spring, summer, or winter break. It will take AT LEAST a week if not more to do.

On a side note, you realize that you're look at at least 3k for a swap right? And even more for a Dr. Evil Tranny. For the things you say you want to do... stay with your stock one, and baby it. I floor it at most traffic lights, and mine is still doing ok. (Not recommended, but I'm planning to swap this summer).

Back