Engine turn over then stall

atarikid07

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've got a 2000 V6 and this problem showed up two weeks ago ONCE and didn't happen until today.

Basically, I took my friend to learn to drive so he did alot of (D4 to R and R to D4) stuff for an hour or too a couple weeks ago. Then I drove around for a bit, no problems and went to park at a friend's house. I go to leave like 20 minutes later and i put the key in the ignition, start up the engine and immediately, it goes down to 500RPM and eventually goes lower and stalls out. I tried this a couple times and the same thing kept happening. So I left the car alone for some hours to let the engine cool down and tried again and then it worked perfectly.

Today, I came back from church (10 mi. trip) and parked, and when I went to go turn my engine on 30 minutes after getting home, the same thing happens. So what I ended up doing is revving the car at 3000 RPM for about 20 seconds and slowly letting go of the throttle to get it down to a good idle. The car started sputtering a bit and lowered down to 500 RPM slowly but didn't stall out this time.

What is going on?! I was thinking the battery, but that can't be it since it's only 2 years old and this problem has only happened twice over the span of half a month... Could it also be that my SRI might be clogged and not giving the engine enough air? I looked under the hood and saw that there were a couple flies and stuff stuck in my K&N filter... Please help!

[And my family bought a 2009 V6 so gonna be showing that off very soon :D]

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
i have no idea what the problem is. just rev the engine next time and your good to go.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
u do anything to it recently besides shifting from d to r and r to d kinda fast? any engine work or electrical?

KnightRyder

Reaction score
revving the engine while it's misfiring isnt gonna do jack shyt other than f something up. i have the same problem and i think it's one of the ignition coil packs is faulty but i dont know which one and replacing all 6 is not cheap either so i just live with it until the problem happens sooo often, then i'll fix it. usually just happens to me maybe 5-6 times a year.

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
^i read your thread over on v6p. some are saying the egr, main relay, iacv and coil packs. so no real solution to the problem yet. happened to me 3 times in the last year.

Last edited:

atarikid07

Reaction score
I guess it's somewhat reassuring to know that others have had this problem and I'm not the only one...

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just leave it be until something really bad happens and THEN take it in to the shop.

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
i had a similar problem awhile back with my 4cyl manual. IACV gasket seal was dirty and clogged. Had it replaced and nothings happened to my car since. Damn car stalled on me while exiting the freeway and shiet.

Back