f23a1 poor accelleration ,sluggish , code 22

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
Okay , so I have a 1999 accord lx 5 speed.

It will throw the code p1259 or what ever code for vtec malfunction. and when i check the obd1 code its code 22(vtec oil pressure switch).

I have taken the old switch out and replaced it with different switches from the junkyard. still the same code.

So I pulled the vtec valve assembly. It had copper shavings in it. as well as other grime.

So, i cleaned that up and did an oil change, as well as change the oil pressure switch on the block.

welp, no luck there either. After letting the engine warm up with the new oil , it was dark gray/black again.

I took it around the block (less than a mile) and it threw the code. Before it threw the code it ran fine. as soon as it threw the code it ran really crappy.

It wants to die when you have the clutch in at stops, and it will die at stops.

It sometimes let you go to red line in first(when it doesn't rev limit you at 4-4.6k rpms), and in second it will either limit you , or only rev to 5000, and then not rev higher , and starts burning oil out the exhaust.

BEFORE

AFTER

***SORRY IF IT'S HARD TO READ. I HAVE A BRUISED FINGER AND CANT DO MUCH.***

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I'm a bit worried about the metal. I've gotta think about what it's from. But start by pulling it back off and see if there is more.

Does it run bad because it has an MIL? Or does it have an MIL because it runs bad? ;)

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
It runs great and goes up to redline when the cel is off. as soon as it pops on , it runs like complete @ss.

I was reading that it could be from the water pump, or the rod bearings :(

xci.ed6

Reaction score
That's controlling oil, there is no coolant, so it isn't the waterpump.

The crank/rod bearings are that color, but you didn't mention a knock.

Sump->pump->filter->that

So your only things that are before it are pump & filter, I think. That kinda debris destroys the bearings also, though.

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
it does not knock at all. it runs very quiet.

If the oil pan is dented, would that cause that code too?

It looks like it has a slight dent, but it had that when I got the vehicle, and i didn't think anything of it.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Nope, steel. Well, steel will turn that color, but it shouldn't the oil pan shuldn't get that hot.

First pull the VTEC solenoid again, check for debris, then clean/reinstall/test.

Then I'd do an oil change. But drain the oil in a CLEAN container. Then pour it (slowly) through a coffee filter to catch any debris. Then examine the debris, if you find junk like that, the engine may be on it's way out.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
That code will cause limp mode so that is why it runs like garbage. As to what is causing the solenoid to wind up looking like that is another question.

Sino

Reaction score
After scrolling up and seeing the metal gravel, between that and the sound, looks like there's catastrophe. I wouldn't spend much more money on that engine if I were you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back