F23A1AT's swap thread + engine replacement Update pg4 (56k go fvck a goat)

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Need some more help, I am going to do the timing and water pump service before the engine goes in the car. I was trying to get the crank pulley off so I can get the lower cover off etc. But I can't get the pulley bolt out, I tried heating it up with a map torch but I didn't want to go far with it because of the front main seal. Does anybody have any ideas to help me with this.

Erik123456789

Reaction score
Get some vise grips with a chain on them.. I don't know the real name for them but they are literally some vise grips w/a chain on them lol. You can get it from like autozone.. or borrow one and just lock it onto the powersteering section of the pulley to stop it from spinning, then use a breaker bar and extend it for more leverage, try not to use an extension between the socket and the breaker bar, that just makes it harder for you

edit: another thing you could do is.. lock your breaker bar onto the front part of your chassis so it doesnt turn, then with the visegrip/chain thing turn the pulley the opposite way.. that will loosen up the bolt too.. make sure you turn it the right way though. I just did it this way myself not that long ago.

Last edited:

Erik123456789

Reaction score
ohh whoops, that should be way easier then, if your tranny is off, your flywheel should have tiny holes. I usually insert 2 pins in them to stop it from turning, then I use a breaker bar with like a 3 foot long pole attached to it for increased leverage.. If your tranny is on, then its pretty much the same thing but you hold the pulley in place with the visegrips.. you might need a friend to help you keep the whole motor from turning.. and about torching it.. nothing happens to the seal, its still pretty far away from the bolt and the motor itself gets hot so the seal is made to stand heat.

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
so you need to stop the engine from turning?

No I need to loosen the bolt without breaking it or my breaker bar.

ohh whoops, that should be way easier then, if your tranny is off, your flywheel should have tiny holes. I usually insert 2 pins in them to stop it from turning, then I use a breaker bar with like a 3 foot long pole attached to it for increased leverage.. If your tranny is on, then its pretty much the same thing but you hold the pulley in place with the visegrips.. you might need a friend to help you keep the whole motor from turning.. and about torching it.. nothing happens to the seal, its still pretty far away from the bolt and the motor itself gets hot so the seal is made to stand heat.

Guess the tranny is coming back off.

Last edited:

Erik123456789

Reaction score
you can just take out the starter alone and jam the flywheel any way possible too lol

F23A1AT

Reaction score
May seem like a stupid question now but..... this is just a normal bolt right? Lefty loosy. righty tighty.

Back