Faded Dash

kolayxdoh

Reaction score
Does anyone have a solution for a faded dashboard for the dark brown tan trim? The dark brown is faded and I thought maybe there's some kind of spray paint that matches the exact color?

Can't attach image yet..

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Maybe spray silicon

078698137902lg.jpg

Spray it on, let it soak for awhile, like 20 minutes, until there's just some gooey gel on the surface, wipe it off & repeat. Works on most rubbers, hard plastic, and in between. It replaces the oils in the plastic, even makes them soft again.

Might make the color splotchy, test it in a hidden area first, but usually when that happens it just needs more spray & soak time to get in to the lighter areas.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you upload a picture? Most likely the car was always exposed to the sun's UV rays and over time weakened the top coating. Then someone might of tried to use a harsh cleaner to clean or remove something from the dash and as a result removing the color pigment. Another reason might be the previous owners had it spot repaired by someone who used subpar chemicals and or did a hack job thus the paint did not adhere to the surface as well.

lashlee

Reaction score
SEM makes many colors that are close to the OEM. When I put my 3" dome midranges on the dash I used SEM paint to redo the dash. It's just slightly different but it's as close to a match as possible. I would pull the whole dash and paint it right.

kolayxdoh

Reaction score
Here's a picture of whats going on
Is anyone else dealing with this problem that has a remedy?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning it off with soap and water? We need to identify the problem first. Afterwards, if it won't come off then we can determine the color pigment is gone.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Don't think that's fade from sunlight due to the size and shape, maybe the previous owner had a GPS mounted with adhesive there or something, looks like a mounting mark to me. You're sure it's not dried coffee or something, right?

kolayxdoh

Reaction score
Someone definitely took some kind of chemical and wiped it on the dash; the lighter brown color is the color pigment under the regular finish

Brad2274

Reaction score
i think the previous owner had a gps or something mounted there with adhesive or suction cup and it when they removed it, it either pulled some dash off or it left a residue that they tried to remove with too harsh of a chemical

Back