For Those Running or Plan on Running Big Cams

5thGenAccord

Reaction score
I have been doing some extensive research on rocker arm wear resulting from large cam profiles. Heres what my rocker arms looked like after 5-7k miles on JUN cams.
DSC00446.jpg

Mostly this happens to H22's but I kept finding other cars that run flat tappet camshafts are having similar problems. This would mean that most 90's or earlier Honda engines could run into this problem (don't know about the F23). Especially if your running large cam profiles. Roller rockers have no worries. Its been very hard to find out what the problem has been because its very difficult to diagnose the heavily worn rocker arms have been popping up alot lately.

Now to my point there is very good evidence that the oil you use can be causing the problem. It seems oil companies have been reducing their zinc/phosphorus formulations because of emissions. These help lower the friction when two metals come into contact. There are oils that have the zinc/phosphorus additives like Motul, Torco, and Redline. Also here is the link to honda-tech that has more info http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2008331. You might wanna keep this in mind when you decide to drop in a bigger cam.

My rocker arms were toast not soley from the lack of zinc additives. BTW I was using Mobil 1 full synthetic, I'm now switching to either Motul or Torco.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
holy cow thats some wear. question: did your JUN cams eliminate your vtec? where is the best place to get motul oil shipped to you?

5thGenAccord

Reaction score
Oddly enough I almost bought a head on ebay with roller rockers a couple of years ago. The only thing is what would the lift of the ferrea cams give me and I havn't seen any info on the roller rockers in someones car yet.

holy cow thats some wear. question: did your JUN cams eliminate your vtec? where is the best place to get motul oil shipped to you?
The JUN cams gives you a wicked VTEC jump when its working correctly. I attribute most of my wear to oil starvation, even though I have read that a completely stock head can also wear like this. You can get motul on the net (www.inlinefour.com has it)I'm looking at their race oil either 5w-30 or 10w-40 but at $46 for 4 quarts is crazy LOL. I hope this works better then the Mobil 1 I was using after 3k my oil was burnt to hell.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
Oddly enough I almost bought a head on ebay with roller rockers a couple of years ago. The only thing is what would the lift of the ferrea cams give me and I havn't seen any info on the roller rockers in someones car yet.

I was looking on that website and it said that the roller rockers eliminate v-tec, maybe someting to think about.

The JUN cams gives you a wicked VTEC jump when its working correctly. I attribute most of my wear to oil starvation, even though I have read that a completely stock head can also wear like this. You can get motul on the net (www.inlinefour.com has it)I'm looking at their race oil either 5w-30 or 10w-40 but at $46 for 4 quarts is crazy LOL. I hope this works better then the Mobil 1 I was using after 3k my oil was burnt to hell.

awesome, thanks for the help, i'd like to try and get either the 5w-30 or their 0w-30 for the cold weather, is there a link to the cams (ie installation, tuning etc.)

Back