Frigging Stereo Bezel. Halp.

pjnofrills

Reaction score
Ok, so yes I created an account just to beg you guys for help as you are my only hope. I'll stick around, I promise.

Anyways, I finally got around to replacing the massive double din 6-disc changer with an aftermarket unit and I got stuck on step 1. One of the screws on the bottom of the bezel just spins and spins, I've tried everything to get it out. I can't get a screwdriver underneath it because it's basically "countersunk" in there. It's not stripped, so I can't really drill it out. If I pull off the head I don't think that's going to help me get the bezel off. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this thing off without breaking everything?

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Take a strong magnet and stick it to the screwdriver. Now turn the screw counterclockwise while pulling outward on the driver.

Mikey

Reaction score
Have you tried using a strong magnet or magnetic screwdriver?

Bezels arent TOO expensive if you do end up breaking it. Also, along with the 2 screws on the bottom, the bezel is held in place by a screw and 2 clips, behind the clock. So if you lose a screw it's no big deal.

lashlee

Reaction score
You need to buy a skew driver. It's a 90 degree adapter for a shaft style screwdriver. If you have already stripped it then you might be able to drop the lower cover and try to get it out that way.

pjnofrills

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the tips guys, I tried all of these, and I think that the plastic that the screw is "screwed into" is just broken, so it just spins and spins, but the screw is still attached... If that makes any sense. I'm thinking of bringing it to the dealer and asking them to fix the busted LED in my climate control so they'll have to deal with it. Lame, I know.

Pudge49902

Reaction score
at this point just break it off and buy a new bezel...if u can fit a pair of pliers inside to hold the plastic piece while you spin the screw then try that..the dealer will charge an arm and a leg....

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If the screw is spinning, it has to either be loosening things up, or spinning inside. If the plastic is broken, I don't see how it could be holding anything together. Either way, you should be able to get the bezel off. If the adjacent screw and top screw (behind the clock) are out, just pull down on the bezel and jiggle it out.

619rcr

Reaction score
Can you pull out the square panel under the radio? The one above the little stowage shelf? If you can pry that one out, you can push the screw from the inside. There are 4 clips that hold the square panel. I've had mine out many times so its easy, but 1st time is little tighter to remove.
Here's a pic of my panel removed. BTW the wire hanging out is not for My AFC, its the aux input for my radio. LOL

2013-02-20_20-34-38_635_zps3db94657.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back