Front sway bar issue

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
What would cause the front sway bar to become situated further to one side of the car than the other? Was under the car yesterday and found that the end of the bar was closer to the lower control arm on the passenger side than on the driver side. I noticed the driver side bracket bushing was split because the bend in the bar was right up against the bracket basically, passenger side bracket/bushing looked normal. OEM endlinks are intact.

Also, the OEM FSB is hollow, right? Wondering if this bar is looking like it needs replaced…can’t tell if its integrity is compromised with the coating flaking off. Pics:

Driver side:

temporary_1.jpg

temporary_2.jpg

temporary_3.jpg

temporary_4.jpg

Passenger side:

temporary_6.jpg

temporary_7.jpg

temporary_8.jpg

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Oem sway bar is hollow.

Could be wear and tear, not sure how often or how hard your spirited driving gets, or if your car has ever been hit on one side or the other, but those are things that COULD be contributing factors.

The spirited driving would surprise me as being the culprit, so I would say wear and tear or collision/pothole.

kn0x47

Reaction score
Just wear and tear. Replace the loosen both brackets that hold the bushings, replace that one/both and recenter the bar. You could also remove the whole bar to make sure it isn't bent. You'll have to disconnect the exhaust for that though. I still have my OEM fsb if you want it

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Oem sway bar is hollow.

Could be wear and tear, not sure how often or how hard your spirited driving gets, or if your car has ever been hit on one side or the other, but those are things that COULD be contributing factors.

The spirited driving would surprise me as being the culprit, so I would say wear and tear or collision/pothole.

I did hit a large pothole recently at night, with the front driver side wheel. This looks like it’s been happening over time though. I didn’t feel anything different after that, except anger lol. Didn’t see any front end damage when it was completely apart for the swap so I am thinking wear and tear too.

Just wear and tear. Replace the loosen both brackets that hold the bushings, replace that one/both and recenter the bar. You could also remove the whole bar to make sure it isn't bent. You'll have to disconnect the exhaust for that though. I still have my OEM fsb if you want it

I’m wondering if mine has weakened and is flexing more, my front end wiggles more than I’d like. I may just replace everything since the parts aren’t that expensive. You can’t undo the endlinks and swing the bar up so the ends are parallel to the bottom of the car and lift it over the piping? I didn’t get a good look, you’re probably right. Any tips for centering the bar? Guess I could measure from outside of the bushing out to the first bend.

I think I saw you post a while back there are no solid FSB’s, wish there were. Which one are you running?

kn0x47

Reaction score
I have the eibach. Yeah I just used the outer edges of the bushings to center the bar. I think you'll have to have the car on a lift to get the fsb out with out disconnecting the exhaust.

A solid fsb isn't better. Hollow bars are better

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Ah thought you took the Eibach off after you found it made no difference. I need to look up how to remove OEM endlinks, never understood what the 4 circles were. Hate messing with endlinks, not all that impressed with Moogs even.

I thought solid bars were better because they would be more rigid, thus keeping the chassis more in check. But I'm no expert.

kn0x47

Reaction score
Ah thought you took the Eibach off after you found it made no difference. I need to look up how to remove OEM endlinks, never understood what the 4 circles were. Hate messing with endlinks, not all that impressed with Moogs even.

I thought solid bars were better because they would be more rigid, thus keeping the chassis more in check. But I'm no expert.

I was going to but it was easier just to leave it on. you just need an allen wrench and a regular wrench to remove endlinks. Mine were easy to remove but mine weren't rusted either.

nah a solid bar doesnt make it more rigid sense its a torsional force. plus the reduction is weight is more beneficial to a car's handling.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I wonder what the thickness is...

But i wouldn't worry about it unless you see bends. I would paint it black with rustoleum to get that rust stopped (brush on).

As for the movement it points somewhere else. Jack it, leave the wheel on, does it move when you pry on it? Pull the wheel off, what moves?

Back