"ghost logo" on shaved and maybe soon to be polished valve cover

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I shaved one of my valve covers a few years back. I ground most of it off, then used a belt sander to get it smooth. It looked good with paint, I swapped it awhile ago, have a little oil leak, considering going shaved.

I was thinking this one would look nice polished. I didn't have much of the coarser sand paper I need but I just started doing the basics to see how it would look. I quickly noticed that the raised letters still show up. I have tried many things but they will not go away. It's not close to being done, this was just to see how it would look but it's not coming out. Here is a pic:
5ikt.jpg

2xmb.JPG

Any advice on how to get rid of it or why it won't come off?

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
Interesting... I would assume that maybe it is just the pouriuos area under the casted lettering where it did not meet the smooth face of a mold. No way of really telling how much you would have to take off in addition to what you have already. + you may still not totally get rid of it.

agginline86

Reaction score
Interesting... I would assume that maybe it is just the pouriuos area under the casted lettering where it did not meet the smooth face of a mold. No way of really telling how much you would have to take off in addition to what you have already. + you may still not totally get rid of it.

Yeah, personally I think it'll be hard to tell once it's back on the car
but probably not worth trying to grind it off as Ghost Ryder said

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Yeah, I am past all the casting marks so I don't know if it will go away without a ton of work. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it. Not even sure if I will polish it or not but I may go a bit further and see. It's more obvious than pics show but I am not sure how it will look with a mirror finish.

agginline86

Reaction score
Yeah, I am past all the casting marks so I don't know if it will go away without a ton of work. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with it. Not even sure if I will polish it or not but I may go a bit further and see. It's more obvious than pics show but I am not sure how it will look with a mirror finish.

my engine bay is not nearly clean enough for me to pull off a polished valve cover
been debating what color(s) to paint mine

talontsiawd

Reaction score
So...I got this much more mirror and it still was quite visible. Kept sanding, could not get it to go away. Saves me from polishing, I will just paint it now. Just updating in case someone encounters the same in the future, I don't know how you would get it to go away.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I am planning on white but now I am reading that it yellows, plus it's been hard getting Duplicolor paint to lay flat, even wet sanding and baking between every coat. If it doesn't come out well, I think I am going to try Duplicolor's Paint Shop line (through an airbrush) as it is really cheap and doesn't use a catalyst.

Back