Hello / Headlight Restoration/Retrofit (Update 9-19 pictures added)

ejreams

Reaction score
Re: Hello / Headlight Restoration

Careful though, if it is the case don't ride your brakes too low, haha

lmazing86

Reaction score
Re: Hello / Headlight Restoration

So, checked all the fluids and all good. Coolant on the overflow tank was right at the min mark, but the car hadn't been driven in hours. Next check is the switch itself.

On another note, taillight fix was today's accomplishment, look for a DIY coming explaining what was wrong and what has done.

lmazing86

Reaction score
Re: Hello / Headlight Restoration (Update 9-10)

ejreams.....you ever get your headlights cleaned up?

Also, thanks for the help in the brake light situation. Your suggestion on the fluid level eventually led to me checking the cap sensor/float. The cap worked but the female connector had corroded, so it only made good electrical contact occasionally. Found a used one off of a 98 CR-V at a junk yard ($5 FTW), cleaned it up nice, installed it and the light has been gone for 3 days!

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score

...I got my full retrofit kit from theretrofitcsource.com on a group buy (25% off for group buys if you're interested.....great deal)

Did you get the newest Mini H1 V.5? Link to group buy plz.

lmazing86

Reaction score

damn that retro looks great!!!
Thanks man. Surprisingly easy too.

The projector is the MH1 Version 5.0. I've never used any older versions, but apparently it is much improved. I think the light output shows it too. It is leaps and bounds better than the halogen bulbs without a doubt.

The group buy I used was through the tacomaworld forum, but is unfortunately over. The way the buys work with TRS is they need 20+ commitments prior to releasing the coupon code. They then give the code out, leave the code open until a few days after 20/25 people have ordered. They then ship after the code closes. If there is enough interest on this forum, someone could contact TRS and see about starting a group buy. With the coupon code, total cost is $217 for this kit (MH1 5.0, shroud, 35W Morimoto brand ballast and bulbs, heavy duty relay harness and high beam splitters) and I think it is worth every penny.

Hope that helps guys. I'll probably be buying another kit next year for my dad. He drives an 2001 sedan and just recently started having to drive from Milwaukee to Minneapolis twice a month. These would certainly make those night drives safer.

Last edited:

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I have V.2 but wanted to get the new V.5 to install on the spare OEM headlights I have sitting in the closet. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever get 20 members on this forum for a group buy for this.

lmazing86

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I have V.2 but wanted to get the new V.5 to install on the spare OEM headlights I have sitting in the closet. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever get 20 members on this forum for a group buy for this.

Sad. With this in mind though, I recommend that anyone unhappy with the lighting output of the stock 9006 bulbs consider this option. The amount of focused light output is incredible compared to the stock bulbs. 9012 bulbs are also an option as they are ~50% brighter than standard 9006.....but consider this:

9006 (standard bulb): 1000 lumens @ 55W, Rated at 1000 hours, Pair = $15
9006 (Silver star or similiar): ~1100-1200 lumens @ 55W, Usually rated at 200-300 hours, Pair = $30-$40
9012 (HIR Bulb): ~1800 lumens @ 55 W, Rated 1000+ hours, Pair = $40-$50
MH1 Retrofit: ~3000 lumens (focused) @ 35 W, components rated at 2000 hours, $217 for a kit if you get a group buy.

If you're buying silverstars and driving alot at night, the light output and life expectancy of the HID kit over those bulbs will pay for itself quite quickly. And if/when and HID bulb burns out, TRS sells pairs of the base H1 bulbs for $30.

Second best option is 9012 bulbs. Had those on the car for a while and they worked well, just nothing like the HID kit.

If anyone wants to see the kit in person, let me know. I am currently in Carson City, NV for extended work (car is here with me), but usually live in Oshkosh, WI.

I recommend lurking on http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/] then. They have group buys from TRS every 6 months or so. I was part of the most recent one, group buy #9. Don't even own a Tacoma, but that didn't seem to bother them much. At the end of #9, people were posting that they had missed it and were looking forward to the next one, so it sounds like there is interest.

Last edited:

JetLife

Reaction score
im going out tomorrow n buying this kit you speak of! hopefully i have the same results

Back