Help!Car heats up then gets cold..its -35 too! :(

frantz954

Reaction score
I bleed the system and it seemed to make a very slight difference but after a while the temperature drops again. Could it be the water pump?-car has 208 000KM on it.

Couldnt hurt to do a wp/tbelt if it's got 200k on the original, but no that wouldn't make your temp drop if anything it would overheat if the pump was going. Could always try n flush the whole system see if somethings clogged...

frantz954

Reaction score
Wait, I just realized you said it's -35. Ur car could be struggling to keep temp up just from driving when it's that cold. If u just let the car sit and run does it still do it?

Khurrum

Reaction score
No if it just idles with the heat off, the temp comes back to middle. but soon as you use the heat it goes down..

intel0116

Reaction score
No if it just idles with the heat off, the temp comes back to middle. but soon as you use the heat it goes down..

lol, thats normal, where i live the coldest it ever gets is in the upper 30's low 40's, mine does the same thing as far as going down when the heat is on and off, but mine only drops a few hairlines, and im in the av6, i could only imagine how it would be in -35 and an i4, id say that your pretty lucky it only goes that low

Last edited:

Khurrum

Reaction score
really...but it doesn't seem normal lol...my TL doesn't do that..but i guess thats a newer v6 too...would a flush help? or the old school method of strapping some cardboard in front of the rad help?

intel0116

Reaction score
really...but it doesn't seem normal lol...my TL doesn't do that..but i guess thats a newer v6 too...would a flush help? or the old school method of strapping some cardboard in front of the rad help?

yeah id say its because your TL is not only newer, but it has a biger engine that produces more heat and a bigger rad that holds the heat longer .... rember biger means hoter because it has more mass for heat to transfer on and smaller means colder because theres less mass for heat to transfer on , at least in this situation, its the complete opposite in warm conditions smaller cools faster and biger cools slower thats why biger engines are paired with biger rads =p

id avoid the cardboard thing because i wouldent want to risk a fire, but thats just me, you could do that tho, but at your own risk

Last edited:
Back