How do i check if my ecu has gone bad on my 98 accord

jpn

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been getting a p1382 code on my 98 accord which is a cylinder postion sensor no signal. So I did the whole check of the wiring to make sure the signal and wiring and grounds are correct from the dizzy to the ecu and everything checked out. I had even gotten a known good dizzy which also tested wit the mulitimeter was good. After following the whole process of checking the wires and everything the chart said to replace the ecu with a known good one. The only problem is to do that I have to take it to honda to get it reprogramed costing me about 150. So my question is, is there a way to make sure that the ecu is really bad before spending the money on another ecu and money to reprogam it?

heres the steps i followed: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...992#post545992

jpn

Reaction score
i had actually swapped 2 diff dizzys 1 brand new and one that u used from my friends car that was working. and i do have a solid cel

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
i had actually swapped 2 diff dizzys 1 brand new and one that u used from my friends car that was working. and i do have a solid cel

Probably is an ECU issue, you can call an independent guy to program your keys to your new ECU. It won't cost as much as the dealer, and they are mobile.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
after u fix the problem, you have to reset the ECU. The light just wont go off. After it resets, after 50 or so miles if it doesnt go back on then i would say your problem is fixed

jpn

Reaction score
well can a locksmith reprogram the ecu with my vin so that when i do my inspection it shows that the ecu has the same vin as the car?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
well can a locksmith reprogram the ecu with my vin so that when i do my inspection it shows that the ecu has the same vin as the car?

Hmmm im not sure, when I did my 5 speed swap, I had a new ECU installed. I passed DEQ twice already with it. A mobile locksmith came by and programmed my keys to my new ecu with his laptop. It wouldn't hurt to give someone a call.

jpn

Reaction score
well i know for NJ the vin in the ecu and the vin of the car have to match. i was wondering how to get ir programmed without paying dealer prices

9450erick

Reaction score
Last edited:

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
if the ecu was bad youd have a solid CEL. just swap the dizzy for another.

If the check engine light is on that means the PCM is working. Think about this one, the PCM is the component that sets the light in the first place and if it is spitting out codes than it must be working. Please do not be a bedroom engineer and give out shady information like this on the web.

OP most problem flow charts always end with "replace PCM". I would get a good sold wiring diagram of that circuit and starting testing. Good luck OP.

Back