How to bypass Immobilizer!!!

Dap5

Reaction score
hello guys,
i am new here and decided to join the gang here cuz i actually just had done a h22 swap. now being new and all, was naive to the whole computer issue with the 6gen accords and wasn't aware that there was an immobilizer with the factory system. now the ecu that came with the engine was not helpful, so i was told to get a unique model of ecu meant for the 96 lude called the p13-a12. i have this ecu now and looking to install it asap, but i wanted to know from you all what i should be prepared for and if anyone has success stories with this swap. thanks

gsrteg

Reaction score
First of all, this is the wrong place to put your thread. Second of all, research on the net. But, I Believe that only obd2a & obd2b Ecu had the immobolizers in their Ecu's. Basically what this means is that, if you don't have the originally keys with the chip imbedded in them for that particular Ecu, your engine setup won't start because of the immobilized chip. But from what I have researched recently, you can actually remove/desolder the immobilized chip and get the car to run, but the check engine light will kick on. Meaning you won't pass emissions. If you go on jhpusa.com, there a Honda guru named "Katman", who can bypass that immobilized chip for a fee. But I say, if you want to stay obd2, and pass emissions, this is the way to go.

gsrteg

Reaction score
But if you already have the Ecu from a 96 accord Ecu, assuming its for a manual transmission, you have to buy a harness converter from obd2b to obd1. But I believe you still won't pass emissions, due to your car supposed to be obd2. Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.

* Correction: If you have a 96 Accord VTEC H22A P13 ECU, this would be OBD2a (hopefully this is the one you have). Because there was also an OBD1 P13 ecu for the older preludes that you dont want to run, you trying to stay OBD2 and pass emissions.

Last edited:

Akingkhan

Reaction score
96 would b obd2
It wouldn't pass smog running obd1
But since he's using a obd2 ecu idk

gsrteg

Reaction score
Trial and error my friend. Keep us updated, because I want to do a swap pretty soon too. F20B swap near future.

619rcr

Reaction score
OK, what is your ? If you have the P13A12, thats the ECU you need. Get an OBD2B to Obd2A adapter and thats it. Assuming the motor is already swapped and running. I am running an H22 with OBD1 P13 Ecu and from my research the ecu and and harness is the only diff.

What do you mean the ecu that came with the eng was not helpful? It will work fine with an OBD1 adapter harness.

And BTW you don't need a computer with the immobilizer to make the H22 run, just because the accord had one. Removing the immobilzer just makes the car easier to steal.

Last edited:

gsrteg

Reaction score
OK, what is your ? If you have the P13A12, thats the ECU you need. Get an OBD2B to Obd2A adapter and thats it. Assuming the motor is already swapped and running. I am running an H22 with OBD1 P13 Ecu and from my research the ecu and and harness is the only diff.

What do you mean the ecu that came with the eng was not helpful? It will work fine with an OBD1 adapter harness.

And BTW you don't need a computer with the immobilizer to make the H22 run, just because the accord had one. Removing the immobilzer just makes the car easier to steal.

Could it be possible to bring the Ecu to the dealership and get the keys made to match that Ecu with the immobilizer. How hard is it? Say if he was using a p5m Ecu for an h22a4 engine. .that's if of course if he want to keep it obd2b and pass emissions.

Last edited:

619rcr

Reaction score
Could it be possible to bring the Ecu to the dealership and get the keys made to match that Ecu with the immobilizer. How hard is it? Would he need paper or proof. That's if of course if he want to keep it obd2b and pass emissions.

Sigh... Ok, So for OBD2 you have a few choices. Get a prelude 97 -02 USDM ecu and reprogram the key. Get a JDM 97-02 ecu and have no immobilizer, but also no communication with us obd2 scanners (something I found out the hard way) or the preferred easy method, get the p13A12 ecu only offered in the usdm 96 prelude. The reason people get the P13A12 is to avoid going to the dealer to reprogram the key, but still have OBD2 capabilities. Sure you can get the immobilzer removed from a 97 & up usdm computer, but thats more trouble than a plug & play.

P5M is JDM with no immobilzer. But it will not work for emissions, because it does not communicate with US scanners.
If you are doing a regular AT to MT swap on an accord Ecu, this would be the only reason I would say visit the dealer for reprogram. I did an AT to MT swap on my f23 and went to the dealer for reprogram because the new MT ecu had an immobilzer and I wanted the key to match. But as soon as you remove the accord ecu with immobilzer, the car will run with an ecu that has no immobiler built in. Case in point. My 99 Accord that used to have immobilizer, starts with an uncoded key because my p13 obd1 ecu has no immobilizer. Which is why a lot of h22 swaps get stolen.

Last edited:

gsrteg

Reaction score
Sigh... Ok, So for OBD2 you have a few choices. Get a prelude 97 -02 USDM ecu and reprogram the key. Get a JDM 97-02 ecu and have no immobilizer, but also no communication with us obd2 scanners (something I found out the hard way) or the preferred easy method, get the p13A12 ecu only offered in the usdm 96 prelude. The reason people get the P13A12 is to avoid going to the dealer to reprogram the key, but still have OBD2 capabilities. Sure you can get the immobilzer removed from a 97 & up usdm computer, but thats more trouble than a plug & play.

Thanks , that kinda cleared up some of my own personal questions for future possibilities.

Back