How to clean under the hood

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use foil to cover up all of the electrical stuff then use degreaser, soap and water then I spray it down.

iHazSnail

Reaction score
My car was at the body shop for a week. When i got it back, under the hood looked like it came thru a sand storm! Took a wet rag, wiped off the excess dust. Sprayed some armorall tire shine and wiped it off real quick. Results..
ENGINEBAY.jpg

ENGINEBAY2.jpg

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
I just cleaned up under my hood with a 2-in-1 degreaser/shiner.
OMIGOD! that **** was nasty when the water ran to the ground.
thanks for the links. i used a whole bottle and need another.

blinkz0rz

Reaction score
I just cover the intake filter and use the pressure washer at the car wash. It's simple and fast, no problems.

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score
Just thought id throw this in on an old *** thread, but ive never masked anything off and on my old P.O.S. camry I actually used a power washer, but im not risking that on the accord... still though, no problems ever.

drifthobo

Reaction score
i just used a degreaser from walmart and hosed it down away from electrcals... lightly. don't go too crazy

SteadFast

Reaction score
since revisiting an old thread is the cool thing to do, I'll throw in my 2cents of tips that I've gathered from detailing cars for 6years.

1. I use plastic bags then cover the plastic bag in foil on the alternator, and distributor.
1a- Use a spray bottle or hose on mist to dampen everything
2. Once the engine is WARM, not HOT.... I use Simple Green
3. Scrub down troublesome engine parts (anything unpainted metal) with 00 Steel Wool
4. Everything else is hit with a microfiber to loosen grime
4a- Let it sit until Cool, usually 20-30 minutes while I vacuum the interior
5. Rinse with hose and sprayer on medium, or shower. Hit the tough spots with the Jet setting.
6. Repeat 2-4 as needed
7. Hit the hoses with Meguiar's Natural Shine rubber stuff (not a huge fan of overly shined bays), hit the plastic with Meguiar's Exterior Trim coating (also awesome on mudflaps, ect)
8. Hit all the painted metal with a cleaner wax, like Meguiar's, then some wax (I use NXT)

Thats all I got for now.

750chop

Reaction score
since i do this every two weeks on 3 cars and have a detail/bodywork background myself ill throw in my method. i use industrial orange or mean green(not simple green) degreaser on everything near paint. on the block and underside i use oven cleaner with the surface already wet to dilute it a bit. wait a minute or two hose it all off and use wd-40 on the rubber parts to make a nice shine that stays put for awhile. and then of course wax painted pieces. meguiers cleaner wax and detail spray is my personal favorite

Back