How to use Seafoam

Pups2Love

Reaction score
I ran across this post and it had me worried as I have been using seaform at least every couple months in my oil and fuel for quite some time. The can has always said it's fine in the oil for extended periods of time, but still scared me and I changed my oil today.

Afterwards I went to seafoams site and read this...

The most frequently asked question about using Sea Foam® is as follows: “After using Sea Foam® in my oil, fuel, or through the vacuum line (to clean carbon from the combustion chamber) do I need to change my oil?” The short answer is: No you don’t have to change your oil after using Sea Foam® in any application.

When using Sea Foam® in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam® in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, free up rings or free up sticky lifters as you drive. Sea Foam® is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam® is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning.

Sea Foam® is a blend of highly refined additive oils and is compatible with all motor oils including synthetics. It is safe for all internal engine components and will not affect any seals, gaskets or o-rings. Sea Foam® cleans oil deposits and varnish in your crankcase by safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. The longer Sea Foam® is in your oil the cleaner your crankcase will become. When adding Sea Foam® to clean oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it. Because you added cleaning oil (Sea Foam®) to your oil you may have to change oil before the expected service interval.

When adding Sea Foam® to dirty oil before an oil change, for best results use 1 ½ ounces per quart of oil at least 100 miles before oil is changed.

Just thought I'd post to clear up this misinformation that had me worried.. :fail:

Last edited:

Pups2Love

Reaction score
What is it about Sea Foam® that makes it so safe to use?

Sea Foam® is composed solely of three specially blended petroleum oils – each having specific functions such as lubricating, cleaning or moisture control. There are no other chemicals (not even color dyes) included in the formulation. Being of the same basic petroleum chemistry as the motor oils and gasoline you already use in your engine, Sea Foam® is completely compatible with all engine components, fuels, lubricants and other additives you may have in your engine. Sea Foam® will not damage gaskets or seals, and will not interact in a negative way with motor oil or fuel, or the additives used in them.

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
Bumping an old topic, gotta quick question though, has anyone here put Seafoam in the crankcase and had a bad experience? more leaks/burns more oil, etc? My 98 AV6 has ~215,000 KMS on the clock and has started idling a bit rough when cold, almost had it stall on me initially, so I am def doing the engine treatment/gas tank method, but any input on adding it to the crankcase would be great!

001Stunna

Reaction score
Bumping an old topic, gotta quick question though, has anyone here put Seafoam in the crankcase and had a bad experience? more leaks/burns more oil, etc? My 98 AV6 has ~215,000 KMS on the clock and has started idling a bit rough when cold, almost had it stall on me initially, so I am def doing the engine treatment/gas tank method, but any input on adding it to the crankcase would be great!

i wouldnt

001Stunna

Reaction score
Alright, appreciate the input, don't know if the car has ever had it done before, so safe is better than sorry for sure.

you've been changing your oil regularly as required correct?
you can try it if you really want to but if there's no issues right now why cause some.

If it almost stalled on your i'd start by cleaning the IACV, throttle body etc.

tj_harris

Reaction score
I just want to throw my experience in with this..

Went to O'Reilly's and got it for $6.99, put the whole can in the gas tank (had about 3/4 tank of gas) and wow what a result. Just made my normal drive of 200 miles and I usually get about 26mpg but it was around 32-33mpg this time no lie. I would definitely recommend anyone to go and spend the 6 bucks.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score

Went to O'Reilly's and got it for $6.99, put the whole can in the gas tank (had about 3/4 tank of gas) and wow what a result. Just made my normal drive of 200 miles and I usually get about 26mpg but it was around 32-33mpg this time no lie. I would definitely recommend anyone to go and spend the 6 bucks.

I have not noticed anything in my experience.

Though it was fun to rev the **** out of my motor and all that white smoke.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score

If you put half a bottle in the engine (~200 miles before an oil change), pour some in the brake booster hose ~15min before an oil change and rev the crap outta your car afterwards (so much fun btw :D), and then when filling up from 1/4 tank (or less) dump a whole bottle of the stuff in the gas tank BEFORE filling up. Your car will not only get better MPGs, but it will also run better.

The last time I did all this, I noticed a huge increase in my MPGs and my throttle response was so much better.

But if you don't notice anything at all, at least you'll have fun blowing smoke out of your car's tail-pipe and it won't cost you too much money. :p

Back