Humming noise from front wheels...wheel bearing?

rafalc

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2002 coupe with 150k miles. Whenever driving above 50mph on a nice smooth surface I hear a humming noise coming from the front left wheel. I got new tires, balanced and I hear a little less but still hums. Could this be the wheel bearings? There is no play when the car is jacked up and I pull on the wheel so I'm not sure. Is this a reliable way of checking your wheel bearings?

Thanks

Last edited:

Chris Vu

Reaction score
i think bearings are more of a clicking noise .. not sure what the humming is tho

swollen_cu

Reaction score
^ wrong. Clicks are cv shafts. Hums are bearings or tires.

OP, it's probably the brand tire or possibly wheel bearing.

metrick1235

Reaction score
^ wrong. Clicks are cv shafts. Hums are bearings or tires.

OP, it's probably the brand tire or possibly wheel bearing.

Correct, Reason being "clicks" is actually the spine of the CV shaft rotating with a worn spindle.. Hums are from a bearing or tires, Most likely bearings.. Most tires for cars are pretty quite.. does it make a louder noise when your turning? also if it was your tires it would be coming from all sides not just front left..

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I stand corrected. My axles are both about to die hahahahahahaha.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Correct, Reason being "clicks" is actually the spine of the CV shaft rotating with a worn spindle.. Hums are from a bearing or tires, Most likely bearings.. Most tires for cars are pretty quite.. does it make a louder noise when your turning? also if it was your tires it would be coming from all sides not just front left..

The clicking noise is not from the splines.. its from excess wear in the CV ball bearing seats. The ball bearings inside the CV have play, thus hearing clicking as the balls 'jump' or 'hop' to seat. (Most prominent while turning)

The spline problem would give a clunk or a dull crack/clack noise due to play, allowing the inner axle to turn before the outer (i'm talking thousands of an inch here). When it makes contact with the housing splines, this makes the clunk/crack/clack.

lol It's hard to put the noise in words.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2002 coupe with 150k miles. Whenever driving above 50mph on a nice smooth surface I hear a humming noise coming from the front left wheel. I got new tires, balanced and I hear a little less but still hums. Could this be the wheel bearings? There is no play when the car is jacked up and I pull on the wheel so I'm not sure. Is this a reliable way of checking your wheel bearings?

Thanks

Wheel bearing.
Definitely.
I would say check the tires first, but you resolved that

synchromash

Reaction score
I have a decent singing/humming from the Front Passenger side. had a wheel bearing done on the driver's side a while back and thought I'd been duped on which side the noise is coming from. Finally pulled over to take a gander behind the knuckle not expecting to see anything and there was grease EVERYWHERE :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:
CV boot son. Check that ****.

Slowfinger

Reaction score
If it is like the sound/feel of a concrete hammer drill (cordless type), then it's definitely the wheel bearings. But because your tires are new, that could also be the culprit. Put some balder tires on the front (weather permitting) and drive around and see if you notice anything. I had an old Toyota that made that noise, and it was only after replacing all the wheel bearings that I found out it was the F-ing tires! lol

Back