I have memory!

xluben

Reaction score
I shoot nearly all sporting events, so I take a lot of pictures. I have about 178GB worth
right now, and it's all double backed up. Shooting RAW would leave me plenty of room for
at least 1 day of an event, but 2 days would be pushing it. I normally have a laptop with to
dump cards onto anyways.

That contest looks amazing! I wonder how many entries they get? The photos all look
very "stylized", not normally my style, but for $2k I might try :D

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
with the sandisk rebate this time last year, i got 3 4gb extreme III cards for like $40 total. that was when the 4gb ones were retailing for $35-40 each...it seems too good to be true but it wasnt. $110 check from sandisk came about 3 weeks later. 14GB of memory at 16MB per raw file still equals a lot of pics...especially since i never use continuous shooting modes and im judicious with the shutter.

i dont know about you guys...but i delete a lot of pics. the ones i take (and dont process) sit on a hard drive for a couple months, then i go through and delete a ton. if it wasnt good enough to make into a JPG the first time around, and its not good enough the second or third time...goodbye :squintwave:

in december i deleted like 1200 pics totaling like 4GB. some were when i first got the 6MP rebel and was using JPG...aka...before i knew what i was doing :lawl:

there was an article (which i cant find at the moment) which classified you regarding how many photos you can delete. it went from the amateurs (keep everything...out of focus, motion blur, shake, over exposed, etc) to pros (only show your best). it was only after reading it that i deleted pics that were unusable...like...why did i keep em?? wtf.

ok now im getting off topic :hide:

ben, is there a reason why you went with 8GBs (or anyone with 8GB+ cards)? i know tech has come a long way in the past few years...memory is still electronic and id hate to have a card that big fail and lose EVERYTHING :skurred:

personally, i fill a 4GB, transfer them onto a hard drive, format the card in camera, take it out, get a different card, format it in camera, and use the second one...kind of rotate the subs in to keep em fresh. overly paranoid? possibly...maybe even OCD-like. thats just how i roll...OCD ftw...

finch13

Reaction score
I'm completely agree with the "only show your best" dogma, but I personally dont show a lot of photos and I keep everything. Of course I don't show everything, my Sanibel thread is only like 15/750 photos I still have.

And I have the same worries about cars, which is why I only got 4gb ones. I don't make money, but my photos are priceless and mean a lot. Have dSLRs started supporting dual writing to 2 cards simultaneously? That's would be a great feature to pros... but not those studio bitches that shoot right to their laptop hard drives :lawl:

xluben

Reaction score
ben, is there a reason why you went with 8GBs (or anyone with 8GB+ cards)? i know tech has come a long way in the past few years...memory is still electronic and id hate to have a card that big fail and lose EVERYTHING :skurred:

personally, i fill a 4GB, transfer them onto a hard drive, format the card in camera, take it out, get a different card, format it in camera, and use the second one...kind of rotate the subs in to keep em fresh. overly paranoid? possibly...maybe even OCD-like. thats just how i roll...OCD ftw...
I initially sort good/bad photos from events. With my old lens that killed well
over 50% just at first glance. I don't ever look at or process them, but for
some reason I still have them around. Probably because 500GB drives are like
$70 now :D

BUT there have been times that someone will contact me after an event
asking for photo's of themselves from a specific game, etc. They're willing to
pay for an individual shot, even though I thought it was terrible. Sometimes
in an event situation the content matters a lot more than the total IQ.

If I were walking around and taking pictures of flowers and cats and stuff I
sure would delete unwanted pictures! When I go take photos of my car or
other inanimate objects I will often pick the top few (sometimes as little as 1 or
2 photos) out of the many taken, and just delete the rest of them. As long
as it's something I would have no problem going out and reshooting the next
day, then I couldn't care less.

Your backup/format method is basically identical to what I previously have
done. The reason for getting 8GB cards is that Sandisk had a limit of 3 cards
on the rebate, and I wanted to get enough so that I wouldn't have to delete
any photos off my cards for my upcoming national event, until after I get back home and
can do multiple backups :D

I'm completely agree with the "only show your best" dogma, but I personally dont show a lot of photos and I keep everything. Of course I don't show everything, my Sanibel thread is only like 15/750 photos I still have.

And I have the same worries about cars, which is why I only got 4gb ones. I don't make money, but my photos are priceless and mean a lot. Have dSLRs started supporting dual writing to 2 cards simultaneously? That's would be a great feature to pros... but not those studio bitches that shoot right to their laptop hard drives :lawl:
I really like the "show your best" idea, but I just can't help myself :( I post
way too many mediocre shots. BUT when they are of people that may buy
them, I think more is better. I can go to recreation play, post a couple
hundred shots of random people and sell 5 or 10 of them at $5-10 or more each.
That's when it's worthwhile to try and get at least a shot or two of everyone,
despite what my better judgment tells me.

The 1D series has supported dual cards (simultaneous write) since the
beginning I believe. That would be an AWESOME feature to trickle down to
lower level models, but probably never will.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i think the nikon d3(x) also supports dual slots. the fuji s-pro cameras did too i believe...nikon dx00 clones.

the upcoming pentax 645D will have dual slots...and with a possible 60x60mm sensor...you would need em...

Back