I need some opinions...

joeygkb

Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal. The car has a good amount of damage done to it from the previous owner. I'm the 6th owner of this car, which was a really bad decision on my part. Here's my list of things that would bring the car back to life:

$2000 body - two new quarter panels, paint right fender, new hood and paint, new front and rear bumper covers with paint matched (quoted at two grand from a good place I know, his prices are the best around too)
$400 exhaust - crushed first pipe connecting manifolds to cat and hole near the third muffler
$200 wheels & tires - need tires and rims are destroyed (getting 05 rims and tires from a friend)
$30 valve cover gaskets - oil leaking from gaskets and oil change also needing to be done at the same time
$5 oil pan gasket
$200 motor mounts - motor rocks in it's bay (terrible, I know)
$5 oil pan bolt and gasket
$100 power steering - hole in pressure hose (getting worse and worse)
$100 head lights - passenger headlight is leaking so water is getting in (yes, I've tried resealing it, it must be cracked somewhere)
$100 suspension - I have new struts and coils waiting to go in, but I'm doing all the bushings at the same time to get rid of the banging (sway bars & end links were already done)
$700 interior - roof lining is destroyed and the two front buckets need to be recovered (was quoted at $700 from a guy I know who does really good work for a good price)

I know some of these things don't need to be done, but c'mon, there are a lot of things here. The body work didn't really bother me before but now it's getting on my nerves :eusa_wall:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
I'd knock out the oil pan gakset, motor mounts and struts. All the other stuff I would save for.

You can buy my car if you want as well. :D

eggs

Reaction score
$2000 body - two new quarter panels, paint right fender, new hood and paint, new front and rear bumper covers with paint matched (quoted at two grand from a good place I know, his prices are the best around too)leave the body the way it is and drive it around
$400 exhaust - crushed first pipe connecting manifolds to cat and hole near the third mufflerfix
$200 wheels & tires - need tires and rims are destroyed (getting 05 rims and tires from a friend)good deal but do you actually need this or do you just want them
$30 valve cover gaskets - oil leaking from gaskets and oil change also needing to be done at the same time
$5 oil pan gasket
fix all of these
$100 head lights - passenger headlight is leaking so water is getting in (yes, I've tried resealing it, it must be cracked somewhere)i have a passenger side headlight lense and housing for sale. its blackhoused and your local so its will be cheap
$100 suspension - I have new struts and coils waiting to go in, but I'm doing all the bushings at the same time to get rid of the banging (sway bars & end links were already done)
$700 interior - roof lining is destroyed and the two front buckets need to be recovered (was quoted at $700 from a guy I know who does really good work for a good price)try and fix the seats and leave the headline if you can
ok my opinions are in red
as for the body work try and find a place that will do paintless dent removal, usually like 75-100 a panel

the body work and interior doesnt come off as an important thing that needs tobe done right away, so if you want to keep the car save for them, and for the interior try and find some junk yards or criaglist with oem seats to replace yours

joeygkb

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I think that you're right in saying that I should take it one step at a time like that.

Eggs, how much are you looking to get for those headlight housings?

And one more thing! In browsing the web today, I found a 98 five speed coupe with a little over 100k miles on it for sale. It's at a dealer nearby for less than 4gs. Bad idea to even look into purchasing and financing that? It looks good in the ad and I'm thinking about taking the drive out to take a look at it. What do you guys think? I know it's like the easier way out, but maybe it's the better way. I mean, spending four grand on a four grand car is pretty stupid. Maybe I should just start on a new platform and then sell what I'm working with now. Opinions on that as well?

Thanks, you guys are really helping me out here; I appreciate it!

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I think that you're right in saying that I should take it one step at a time like that.

Eggs, how much are you looking to get for those headlight housings?

And one more thing! In browsing the web today, I found a 98 five speed coupe with a little over 100k miles on it for sale. It's at a dealer nearby for less than 4gs. Bad idea to even look into purchasing and financing that? It looks good in the ad and I'm thinking about taking the drive out to take a look at it. What do you guys think? I know it's like the easier way out, but maybe it's the better way. I mean, spending four grand on a four grand car is pretty stupid. Maybe I should just start on a new platform and then sell what I'm working with now. Opinions on that as well?

Thanks, you guys are really helping me out here; I appreciate it!

Doesn't hurt to go take a look at it. You may be able to trade yours and pay a little bit and bam you've fixed the majority of your issues.

Bax

Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal. The car has a good amount of damage done to it from the previous owner. I'm the 6th owner of this car, which was a really bad decision on my part. Here's my list of things that would bring the car back to life:

$2000 body - two new quarter panels, paint right fender, new hood and paint, new front and rear bumper covers with paint matched (quoted at two grand from a good place I know, his prices are the best around too) I agree with said above, just drive it like this.
$400 exhaust - crushed first pipe connecting manifolds to cat and hole near the third muffler you can get an exhaust shop to just cut and weld in some replacement pipe for way cheaper than 400. hell you can BUY an oem exhaust setup from someone for very cheap or go find one in a junkyard (granted it's not rusted too badly)
$200 wheels & tires - need tires and rims are destroyed (getting 05 rims and tires from a friend) do this. anything done to your car will be pointless if you hydroplane or get in any type of accident from lack of good traction.
$5 oil pan gasket
^ do these of course.
$100 head lights - passenger headlight is leaking so water is getting in (yes, I've tried resealing it, it must be cracked somewhere) just get a used passenger side one. NotNice actually has a passenger side headlight if you'd wanna pm him about that. although he may have already sold it or something, it's worth a shot. you can also get a new depo headlight on amazon for 40-something shipped.
$100 suspension - I have new struts and coils waiting to go in, but I'm doing all the bushings at the same time to get rid of the banging (sway bars & end links were already done)idk what you're talking about "banging"...?
$700 interior - roof lining is destroyed and the two front buckets need to be recovered (was quoted at $700 from a guy I know who does really good work for a good price)
you can get a used headliner and/or re cover it yourself, but this is still not necessary for the drivability of your car. I'm not sure about the seat situation, depends on if they're leather or cloth on finding used ones. The cloth seats I've found in junkyards can be in okay shape, but the leather ones i've found are always cracked up.
I know some of these things don't need to be done, but c'mon, there are a lot of things here. The body work didn't really bother me before but now it's getting on my nerves :eusa_wall:
Just my opinions, of course.

Doesn't hurt to go take a look at it. You may be able to trade yours and pay a little bit and bam you've fixed the majority of your issues.
this too. even if you pay a little more, you have a 5 speed. :haysm9:

Back