Is their anything that can be done to shine engine block?

Nurby

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if their was any way to bring back a nice color to the engine block, and other metals bits in my Accord.

WK7C1.jpg

As you can see the in this photo most of the metal has a sort of "milky" look to it (this is normal though?). I know Meguiar and Gunk have products that supposedly shine it up, but do they work?

Did a bit of searching, but information on this isn't as easy as I would have thought.

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
There is no purpose in shining up an engine bay with over 10+ years under its belt. Not worth the effort, IMO.

slowrider87

Reaction score
the only way to do it well (that i can think of) would be either with it out of the car and lightly sanding that "milky" texture down to smooth it all out then a good scrub with soap& water, then finish it off with some kind of polish/shine that you mentioned above. you could do the same with the engine in the car, but there's going to be a bunch of places you can't really get to very well. It may not look quite like you want it.

i would just try one of those products you've heard of. See how it works.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Use etching wheel cleaner. Spray on. Then rinse off asap, then let it dry and spray with intake cleaner.

The wheel acid will get rid of the oxidation and it wil get somewhat worse when it drys so use the carb cleaner . Steel wool helps

bucho44

Reaction score
When I do random maintanence (like everyday), I'll just waste time by cleaning with wire brushes, terry cloth, and some kind of soap. So far it's cleaned it pretty good but I'm not going for prestineness. It looks cleaner though than what the rest of my car looks like.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
search function works..lol exactly what I needed..been wondering what the heck to do about this

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Glad you found what you needed, but please do not bump old threads unless you have something valuable to contribute.

Back