Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission Mods' started by Bense, Jan 16, 2017.
Thanks, the positive comments are appreciated.
Update, finally got some time to pull the old motor out, and disassemble to transfer hardware, covers, etc to the new heads and block. The new block is.mostly together. Had to get a different style valve spring compressor, so was delayed assembling the heads. Pistons are Halferland's and blockguards are theirs too. I think I already mentioned the RL parts before, Anyways here's a few pics. As a joke I picked up a v6 hybrid decal from a 7th gen accord. Kinda a play on words.
Hybrid 3.5L starting to come together. Valves are all installed, took forever... Those ARP head studs seemed more difficult to torque than the H series, Guess because its 2 heads, 2 times the studs. Taking a break since I misplaced my new knock sensor. Ported runners are just loosely in place. Plan to install the rockers and timing belt next. Few more pics below. Numbers on the heads are for the torque sequence.
new motor is in, sitting on front and rear mounts
New motor started up on the first try. sounds like a beast with the ported heads and runners. took a while to bleed coolant. seems to have a slight misfire, but no chk eng light yet. it did have a slight miss that the last time i drove on the old motor, but i figured it was just the tired motor. anyways live data showed fuel trim was a few % negative so its not running lean. all the fuel injectors are new. plugs and coils are used. gonna try swapping in some spare coils and plugs first.
So right after work, swapped around the coils with some spares. No change. Picked up some ngk coppers (4291) from local parts shop & gapped to factory spec... good to go. idles smooth and drives good. put 10 miles so far just around the neighborhood. tested vtec just a bit, works fine. plan to take it easy the 1st 1k miles. gives me time to plan what to do next.
few updates, have about 300 miles on the j35. runs smooth but not as responsive as I expected with all the port work. I'm convinced the stock j32a2 throttle body is pretty inadequate for a 3.5. Anyways 76mm blox was out of stock, so picked a 74mm skunk2 throttle body. The current RL manifold has a 70mm inlet, so I spent quite a while with the dremel tapering one side of the p2r adapter to enlarge from 70mm to 74mm. Prob should've got j37, whatever maybe later.
Second, instead of running a hose from the iac adapter plate to the intake, used a small breather filter with a 10mm to 12mm elbow and some hose.
Third, since its been over 105 degrees already, swapped in a mishimoto fan switch. Does the same thing as mugen, but with prime shipping. What can i say i hate waiting.
Lastly, the butterflies on the RL manifold are now operational. I picked up a mating plug awhile back and finally had time to wire it up.
Did a quick fwy run last night. Response is way better. Idle was fine with no tweaks to the throttle out the box. Fan kicked on early like it should. Trying to be patient as I get this engine broken in, before I really test it out.
Been a while since I've been on here. In case anyone happens upon this thread someday, a few things have transpired:
Chassis wiring, airbags, dash, gauges and climate control were swapped to CL Type S.
Mounted A/F Ratio & Temp guages to A pillar.
Picked up 2G TL navi dash bezel trim and slim hvac controls for a potential tablet mod.
AT engine harness, sensors and AEM EMS installed. But, not yet professionally tuned.
Purchased FIC 650cc injectors. Not yet installed.
Gutted interior, removed carpet, rear seats, and sound deadening material throughout.
Remote mounted battery in trunk with 1GA wire.
Mounted Falken Azenis RT660s in 255 40 17 on the fronts. No more 1st gear tire spin.
Upraded CAI from 3" to 4", installed new K&N filter and added 12.5mm spacer to intake manifold.
Blocked off EGR and disconnected EVAP.
Upgraded 3" resonator to 3" glasspack. Purchased quieter muffler, not yet installed.
Sold supercharger. Purchased cheap turbo manifolds. Nitrous bottle bracket reinstalled.
Purchased 8GA V6 6MT coupe which needed some work. Ordered clutch and LSD for 8GA.
Ordered P2R 3.55 final drive gear for 6GA and removed 8GA counter shaft for future use.
Lastly, I never took any vids driving the car when it was supercharged, but I have a few other vids on youtube:
Awesome work man! Followed the build early on but kind of fell off the site for a bit. Glad to see you still have the Accord up and running. Seeing a lot of Jswap guys go turbo now so hopefull we'll see the build updated here.
You ever miss the blower? Mine's still in my basement 5 years from when I bought it lol.
Thanks. Honestly I hardly drive it now due to the amount of fuel it uses. But, yeah the loss of immediate torque is noticeable. Once it hits vtec I feel the power surge. I could run a vtec killer setup, but more likely will eventually run a GT3582 or similar turbo. Under boost is definitely where these motors come alive.
Surprisingly the J35 8G I picked up has pretty good responsiveness too (which 8G & 9G v6 accord owners can likely attest to). I feel this is largely due to the 3.55 final drive versus 3.285 in the 6G/7G accords and 3G TLs. Thus my next step is to swap the final drive. Then hopefully get it dyno tuned.
Separate names with a comma.