JDM F23A intake manifold

gsrteg

Reaction score
What kind of benefits are you expecting from this IM swap?

I never swapped the intake manifold over. I wasn't expecting any performance benefits, I just didn't feel like taking the Japanese spec IM off from the new engine if it didn't to. I compared both the US and Japanese Intake Manifold side by side, they looked exactly the same other than the throttle cable bracket, fuel rail and some sensors that needed to be transferred over. The japanese one looked cleaner and in better shape, that was basically my reason by keeping it on. The shop i bought the engine from, kept suggesting that I "needed to change it over and the exhaust manifold, to make the the swap to work; because of fitment issues and Check Engine Light codes", which I didn't do.

But at the time, I was assuming the fluctuating idle issue was due to the internal design of the Japanese IM. I began thinking to myself "maybe I should've swapped it over the US IM from my original engine". But with some research and advice from reputable master mechanics, I figured it was just a vacuum leak from the PCV valve and the IACV valve needed to be cleaned more thoroughly.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Reaction score
Believe me when I say that I know that this is a senseless resurrection of this thread. However, it was the first search result for an issue a friend of mine is having and I had the misfortune of seeing two established members try to strong arm another member into agreeing with their incorrect points.

The best thing about democracy is that everyone has a voice. The worst thing about democracy is that the idiots of this world qualify for the same advantage. To Valet and Russianred, please stop talking. You're both incorrect and this was a point that two separate members tried to explain previously in the thread but decided that you were too retarded to save. There most certainly is a JDM (as in manufactured AND sold in Japan) F23A. It came in the '98-'01 JDM Accord wagon 2.3Vi and 2.3VTL. Here's an example of one:

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/HONDA/ACCORD_WAGON/700020621630140626001/index.html

They also came in some of the Odysseys of the same vintage, if it didn't have the J30A instead:

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/HONDA/ODYSSEY/700040271630140930003/index.html

I know that you feel that you know a lot about these cars, but other people know things you don't. It's fine to be wrong but when you so matter-of-factly denounce someone else's claims, be prepared to have that returned to you in the same tone.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
give the IACV a proper cleaning and check all vacuum lines make sure you didnt pinch anything, you can spray carb cleaner on vac lines if idle jumps theres your leak

gsrteg

Reaction score
give the IACV a proper cleaning and check all vacuum lines make sure you didnt pinch anything, you can spray carb cleaner on vac lines if idle jumps theres your leak

The problem has already been solved. Thanks for the advice though.

Here's a recap after solving the issue:

I've been driving this car with the engine swap for about a year and some months now, and to be honest...it drives great! As for the intake manifold that was already mounted on the Japan imported engine, it has no issues since then. Even though the EGR valve, injector, fuel rail, and intake manifold on this Japanese imported engine had minor cosmetic differences compared to US style F23a engine, all the sensors and performance still worked. The car has a smoother ride and is very reliable. I've been using Mobil1 5w30 oil and Honda Manual Transmission fluid...it drives smooth. Again, the reason I swapped the car with an identical F23 engine is because the old engine had overheated and blew a headgasket. Not knowing whether the block/head had warped or cracked, I purchased a replacement engine imported from Japan. I didn't want to waste time and money rebuilding the old one. But I had put in a new clutch, flywheel, radiator, radiator hoses, drive axles, thermostat, spark plugs, wires, distributor rotor, cap, and accessory belts (water pump and timing belt purchased too, but soon to be installed).

J0hnalex

Reaction score
You wanna why it appears the same as the USDM ones?

Because there is no JDM F23

However I find it weird that the injectors didn't fit. So there is some difference for whatever reason.

100% there's a JDM F23... just swapped one into my accord myself.

Dxs

Reaction score
I am digging up this old thread to also correct information said by other members.

In JAPAN, the first generation odysseys - RA3- come with F23a in japan (black top).

There is also the second generation odyssey - RA6 that comes with a f23a (black top).

Now honda japan have all these weird cars that are like accord but not.
I believe two models in japan exist.. the CF6 and TA1.. both with F23a

I think all of thee cars are auto..

but I am definitely no expert - but I have been looking into this stuff quite a bit because i am attempting to manual convert my RA3 F23a7 odyssey (which is black top, single o2 and has a different evap system? than the usdm 6th gen accord silver top twin o2 f23a engine).

twofast4u

Reaction score
I am digging up this old thread to also correct information said by other members.

In JAPAN, the first generation odysseys - RA3- come with F23a in japan (black top).

There is also the second generation odyssey - RA6 that comes with a f23a (black top).

Now honda japan have all these weird cars that are like accord but not.
I believe two models in japan exist.. the CF6 and TA1.. both with F23a

I think all of thee cars are auto..

but I am definitely no expert - but I have been looking into this stuff quite a bit because i am attempting to manual convert my RA3 F23a7 odyssey (which is black top, single o2 and has a different evap system? than the usdm 6th gen accord silver top twin o2 f23a engine).

I think you're on to something... I know some of the odyssey's from japan are auto f23's with awd as well.

Back