jerking under slight acceleration?

tzimmer91

Reaction score
ok so today i took the cat out and there is no guts inside. so im guessing it an aftermarket. but while i had the exhaust off i jiggled the muffler and i heard a buch of loose guts in there so i cut the muffler off and still have the cat and midpipe canister and thats it and it seems to be doing better now. but im still going to get new o2 sensors and seafoam

001Stunna

Reaction score
ok so today i took the cat out and there is no guts inside. so im guessing it an aftermarket. but while i had the exhaust off i jiggled the muffler and i heard a buch of loose guts in there so i cut the muffler off and still have the cat and midpipe canister and thats it and it seems to be doing better now. but im still going to get new o2 sensors and seafoam

Are you sure you took out the cat and it was already hollowed out??? as in nothing inside at all??? and this was the part where the second o2 sensor goes into???

If so then the reason for the p0420 is because you have no cat.converter...you can do the sparkplug defouler trick to space the rear o2 out of exhaust stream and fool it into thinking there is a cat and its working properly.

However that means that this cannot really be the reason for your issue...what was rattling in your muffler was probably a rock or something that made its way inside.

tzimmer91

Reaction score
yes it was hollowed out and yes it is where the second o2 goes in.

spark plug trick? whats that?

what do you suppose the issue is then?

001Stunna

Reaction score
yes it was hollowed out and yes it is where the second o2 goes in.

spark plug trick? whats that?

what do you suppose the issue is then?

Sparkplug defouler trick(only for the o2 on the cat.converter)
http://www.energeticforum.com/renew...n-using-spark-plug-non-foulers.html#post12597

As for possible issues referr back to what i originally mentioned

-Check your tranny fluid; is it low? if so top it up with honda atf* and check for leaks
-When was the last time you changed/checked your cap and rotor? If moisture accumulates inside it'll cause a misfire and a possible jerk as you're describing(even though this should happen when cold mostly)
-Hook up and OBD2 reader and check the readings of the Throttle Position Sensor? It could be malfunctioning and sending out wrong data
-throw a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank(STP/Seafoam/Etc)

PS. Does the car simply jerk, or does it revv up and catch the next gear really high and hard?

tzimmer91

Reaction score
ok cool.

well today i was driving and would hit the gas and it would completely bog down then i would let up and it would catch itself again.

so maybe an o2 sensor or somthing? plugs? wires?

Chris Vu

Reaction score
IMO, if it's bogging, then it's lacking something whether it's air or fuel. I still stand by my IM/EGR being clogged theory. Mine bogs too if I don't give it enough throttle to the point where it almost stalls (0-100) rpms. Sea foam has helped, but it'll be getting cleaned out Sunday. I'll post results after. Redlinevtec will be helping me clean it out.

ktown98

Reaction score
IMO, if it's bogging, then it's lacking something whether it's air or fuel. I still stand by my IM/EGR being clogged theory. Mine bogs too if I don't give it enough throttle to the point where it almost stalls (0-100) rpms. Sea foam has helped, but it'll be getting cleaned out Sunday. I'll post results after. Redlinevtec will be helping me clean it out.

i bog down when applying light pressure to the accelerator as well.... maybe time to clean off the k&n filter?

tzimmer91

Reaction score
(ktown) yea mine boggs when i give it slight acceleration but if i floor the gas it doesnt bogg as bad

and i was driving today and while doing about 60mph on the highway when it would bogg down the rpms would drop about 5mph then jump right back up???

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Yep. Mine does the exact same thing. It even jerks at 3k rpm if it wanted to. Damn fickle engines ..

Back