jerking under slight acceleration?

tzimmer91

Reaction score
ok well my car jerks when i slightly accelerate. but when the car is cold it doesnt jerk. and if i push the pedal like halfway down the jerk stops till im on pressing on it slightly......anybody have any ideas?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Sounds like tranny issues.

I'm thinking you may want to get some diaganostics done on the car and try and nip a potential tranny failure in the bud.

001Stunna

Reaction score
-Check your tranny fluid; is it low? if so top it up with honda atf* and check for leaks
-When was the last time you changed/checked your cap and rotor? If moisture accumulates inside it'll cause a misfire and a possible jerk as you're describing(even though this should happen when cold mostly)
-Hook up and OBD2 reader and check the readings of the Throttle Position Sensor? It could be malfunctioning and sending out wrong data
-throw a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank(STP/Seafoam/Etc)

PS. Does the car simply jerk, or does it revv up and catch the next gear really high and hard?

Last edited:

Chris Vu

Reaction score
My car kinda does the same thing, but it jerks really harshly if I lightly press on the pedal. If I want the jerking to stop, then I would have to push the pedal down and open the throttle up much more (almost WOT). It would RARELY happen when it's cold, but once it's warmed up, it'll happen almost guaranteed. Also, if my car is not in gear, and I press on the pedal lightly to rev it to ~1250, then the rpms would go down to 1000, then back up to ~1250, and back to 1000, and so on and so forth. It looks as though I have an erratic idle, but it's not at idle if my foots on the gas :p

My IM/EGR is clogged with carbon deposits etc. I ran seafoam through the vac line and it cleared most of it. It still jerks very lightly every now and then, but it's much better now. This weekend, my Homie G. Dawg, whom's name shall not be disclosed, will help me clean it all out and make it like new :D

I suggest you try seafoam.

tzimmer91

Reaction score
cars a 5 speed not auto....and yea sounds like we have the same problem....ok ill go get some seafoam and try it out and rent a scantool from oriellys auto and see what code its throwing

tzimmer91

Reaction score
ok guys here is a pic of the code that the scan tool picked up.....so my cat is clogged?

IMAG0651.jpg

001Stunna

Reaction score
YES, clogged enough to cause hesitation on acceleration.
Either buy a new one, or hollow out the one you have until you need one for emissions/smog check

..or that is just one of the issues and the hesitation is another issue on its own

Last edited:

tzimmer91

Reaction score
fl doesnt have smog/emissions check :squintrun:

but yea im going to bang the guts out tmrow

thanks for all the help guys

Back