Loose Lug Nuts

whitegourd

Reaction score
I went to rotate my tires the other day and noticed that my tuner lug nuts weren't that tight when I went to take them off. (I know that they were tight a couple of months ago when I put them on).

When I had my stock lugs w/ my stock rims, they stayed tight no matter what.

Not sure if it's the heat or what that is causing them to get loose? Has anyone had an issue like this? If so, what did you do to fix this problem? Would Loctite be a good idea? I'd hate to have to check the lugs every 500 miles or so.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine never came loose. torq them with wheels above ground. then do it again when wheel is on the ground. u can do it again after a day of driving or w/e just in case it comes loose a bit while driving. :smash:

finch13

Reaction score
Use a torque wrench next time... 80 ft.lbs. is what you need.

Check inside the lugs and on the studs for missing threads... cheap lugs strip easily, even Gorilla.

Torquing the wheels above the ground is a great way to insure the wheels sit on the hub face evenly and will help apply even pressure as you tighten the lugs so they won't vibrate loose.

whitegourd

Reaction score
I did this by hand w/ the tire iron and stepping on it with a good portion of my weight. These are gorilla lugs too. I'll monitor it for the next hundred miles and tighten them again at a friend's shop to make sure.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Wait wait wait. You STEPPED on the Tire Iron.

Buddy you've probably stripped the lugs (especially Gorilla) and that is why they came off like butter. Buy new Lugs and tighten them with a torque wrench. Also make sure that you didn't damage any of the threads on the studs, and make sure that there is no grease or anti-sieze on the studs.

swollen_cu

Reaction score

Buddy you've probably stripped the lugs (especially Gorilla) and that is why they came off like butter. Buy new Lugs and tighten them with a torque wrench. Also make sure that you didn't damage any of the threads on the studs, and make sure that there is no grease or anti-sieze on the studs.

seriously.. you dont need to step on them to tighten themm.. a good yan k or push on them will do it..

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I did this by hand w/ the tire iron and stepping on it with a good portion of my weight. These are gorilla lugs too. I'll monitor it for the next hundred miles and tighten them again at a friend's shop to make sure.

:skurred:....there is a reason why mechanics don't do it this way, if anything, put them on with a tire iron and get a mechanic to use a torque wrench or rent one.

whitegourd

Reaction score

Sorry, maybe I was over exaggerating on the weight by stepping on the tire iron.

I basically tightened it as hard as I could w/ my hands and then stepped on the tire iron to give it the extra ~1 degree turn. (my other leg is still on the ground w/ most of my weight). The lugs stayed on tight. Perhaps they got stripped when I started to drive or go around a turn ... ? idk.

When I went to unscrew the lugs to rotate the tires, it noticeably took less force than when I tightened them a few months back.

Does it make a difference if they are close or opened ended lugs? Perhaps the open ended ones tend to strip easier?

Back