Mah new box truck.

nsjames

Reaction score
who knows about battery isolators? I figure some of the obscene audio guys here might run a sperate batery system for amps and such while parked.

I need a battery isolator that will let me run 4 6v deep cells wired to provide 12V to my inverter and automagically isolate my start batteries, but still charge from the truck charging system. This will be for overnight pit stops on the road. 95% of the time we'll be connected to campground hookups, but it's be nice to run the TV/fridge/microwave going down the road and while we're parked overnight at a rest area.

nsjames

Reaction score
Well, I got the battery thing figured out.

www.hellroaring.com

Is a 4x4 guy that someone referred me too. He makes some pretty trick battery isolators that will let you run deepcells for your "house" load, but make sure your start battereis don't discharge. It's all automatic and will let both battery banks charge from the alternator with no interaction from me. Might be useful for the audio/show guys as well so you could rnu deep cycles in the trunk, but keep your start battery from going dead.

Title/tags/insurance are taken care of, so this thing is probably going to get driven a bit this weekend. Look for some on the road pictures/video soon.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I have a battery isolator set up for the spare battery in my trunk, but I wasn't sure exactly how it was wired up, I wasn't there when the work was done, unfortunately.

I would assume some 0ga wire and a connector/ground was about all you would need, but I assume it may not be that simple.

nsjames

Reaction score
I have a battery isolator set up for the spare battery in my trunk, but I wasn't sure exactly how it was wired up, I wasn't there when the work was done, unfortunately.

I would assume some 0ga wire and a connector/ground was about all you would need, but I assume it may not be that simple.

basically. The isolators aren't big enough in may case to handle the full output of the alternator trying to charge deep cell batts, so all of the electrical loads in the truck (headlamps,running lights,"house" loads) will run from the 6v battery bank/alternator. The start battereis will be wired through the isolator and the only thing on that circuit will be the starter/fuel shutoff solenoid and te glo plug relay. Which are the three things that I need to start it.

Wired that way the isolator won't see full charge current or the current to the accessories while the truck is running, that will all be wired direct to the alternator.

It all makes sense when the isolator guy explains it to you....

Of course there will be an ammeter and a voltmeter to monitor the charge status of the "house" battery bank.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
That IS pretty trick... definitely a nice thing to not worry about killing your main battery.

can't wait for the "meat and potatoes" progress of the build. I wanna see that box pimped!!!!!

nsjames

Reaction score
That IS pretty trick... definitely a nice thing to not worry about killing your main battery.

can't wait for the "meat and potatoes" progress of the build. I wanna see that box pimped!!!!!

starts thi weekend.
I drove it into town this morning to get the title and plates sorted and I'm happy with how it drive now, so now I can go pick up some stuff and start building things in the back.

Don't expect "pimp" I'm a cheap bastard that builds things to work, not be pretty.

I can't find any reasonably priced cabinets, so probably making my own out of pine and plywood (ewwww, ugly). And the counter top is pink, because I got a great deal on it with a stainless sink and faucet already installed at the local Habitat for humanity recycler. Can't beat $60 for a new countertop with a stainless double sink....

nsjames

Reaction score
Out and about getting inspected:

0513111009.jpg

Put another 50 miles on it going and picking up this:

0514111205.jpg

Good old fashioned American iron.

0514111205a.jpg

Cost me the diesel to go pick it up. It runs, some of the gen head wires are jacked, but it is complete. Some minor rewiring and it's good to go. Electric start, 4000 Watts.

I'm happy with how the truck drives, so it's time to start working on the inside of the box.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
Cover the pink counter top with vinyl

You could make it look pretty damn cool for cheap (cf, brushed aluminum, flat black, camo, etc) :thumbsup:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
that truck would be awesome for transporting bikes to the track... thats awesome

Back