Manual transmission problem

Bax

Reaction score
So I drove about a half hour to meet up with my friend tonight after work. I was in 5th gear for about 15 mins, everything normal, then all of the sudden it pops out and goes to neutral. I put it back into 5th gear, and as soon as I let off the clutch and give it some gas it would pop back out of gear.
When I got to a stop, my transmission was making a grinding noise in neutral with the clutch engaged. When I would disengage (press) the clutch, the noise would go away. It also makes this grinding noise once rolling throughout the gears.

Through a little research I did it sounds to be a bearing making the noise right? But what is making 5th gear pop out?

Please help. :ugh:

JDMpower25

Reaction score
sounds like a 5th gear syncro. to fix it, trans will have to come apart.
and if u wanna replace ur throw out bearing, trans gotta come out anyway.

Bax

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
Is this something that can be done myself? Or is it better to just find a good shop?

AFAccord

Reaction score
Can you feel that the shifter is going fully into the gear? My first inclination would be shifter cables are kinked, but I don't recall reading about you messing with them previously. I would still watch them at the trans and make sure they aren't binding while someone shifts through the gears. Check the bushings at the ends of the cables for slop too.

If that checks out fine, I would drain the fluid into something that you can inspect it in. Look for metal flakes or shiny sparkles to indicate an internal issue. There is a magnet inside the case, but there might be enough flakes present in the fluid to see if there's a problem inside. It's exactly two quarts to refill it, you can use SAE 30W standard oil, and I would recommend removing the reverse light switch to use as a fill hole. Otherwise it could take quite a while using the vent tube.

Do all the gears feel evenly spaced in the shifter? Is it difficult to get in and out of first gear when sitting still?

Back