maxbore TB and boost

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
I was talkin to a friend about my build and mentioned my plans of using a h23 tb bored out by maxbore. he said that ppl that have been having cracks form on the tb before the butterfly valve. this concerns me since the whole entire build is based on realiability as the main concern. so, ive been researching a few options and have come up with some other ideas tht i would like yall opinion on

A: Maxbore it anyway, just not max it out

B: maxbore it all the way

C: rebuild the h23 tb and run it stock

D: run an aftermarket H22 tb (edelbrock, blox, skunk2)

no decision will be made for another month. whatcha think?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
A. if you're so dead on reliability, but is that cracking problem only evident on the H23 TB or also the F23? This question is a personal question, not to do with your thread. (no thread harm intended, I gave my opinion). :hide:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
reliability wise, c or d. if its stock or has been r&d'd and built, we know its ok.

stinker504

Reaction score
It really depends on your final power goals. If you're going to try to get every ounce of power then go with "D". If you're looking to hit around 350-400 hp than I would just stick with stock.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got proof? I'm curious as to what would make a throttle body crack other than someone being an idiot during install.

Running 3yrs strong on mine.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
It really depends on your final power goals. If you're going to try to get every ounce of power then go with "D". If you're looking to hit around 350-400 hp than I would just stick with stock.

ZOMG!!!!! its Stinker!!!!!

whats happening bro? power goals are similar to yours actually. im starting to lean towards a 65mm aftermarket tb, but i dont wanna see myself paying for one yet.

greg: what my friend said was tht if maxbore tapers the bore to its maximum n/a spec (66mm in h23 case) that it loses its strength under boost.

....actually now tht i think of it. there has to be a bunch of other things wrong under boost to cause a crack on the tb, like a stuck bov. but even then compressor surge would happen first before the tb goes. iono, research time to study this problem

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
the only reason why I think a bored TB would crack would be due to the stretching of the metal when tapering the TB

(witch is what I belive maxbore does)

I dont think that cracking should be a concern go aftermarket go stock go maxbore I dont think it will make that much of a difference eaither way I'll bet you will be smileing eaither way when the boost kicks in

IMO get your parts together (ones you dont have) then worry about replaceing little shizzzzzzzzz

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cracking under boost? While I don't have a digital caliper to measure the taper on my TB and its not 66mm (its 64)...I just find that impossible.

stinker504

Reaction score
I highly doubt boost pressure would cause a crack in a TB. The only time I've ever seen a cracked throttle body was when someone over tightened the T-bolt clamp for their charge pipe. You can put some serious pressure with those clamps.

Back