Messed up headlight restoration ?

Chris Vu

Reaction score
So, my headlight lenses were yellowing, and I used the 3m thing from Autozone. It removed the yellowing, but it's now all scratched up and blurry. What are my options ? Can I just resand it with 2000 grit and then use a rubbing comound maybe meguiars m105 or 205 ?

FYI the 3m kit stopped at 600 grit sand paper so ....... yeah ............

Last edited:

Cpyro

Reaction score
do 2000 horizontal then 3000 vertical for good measure then rubbing compound

ActNow

Reaction score
m7vz20.jpg

I use this all the time on mine and friends and family headlights and even tail lights. The instructions say to always use horizontal strokes never vertical.

TUBHMOOBVAJ

Reaction score
The 3M kit is probably one of the best available, how did you messed it up? Lol. Just repeat the process until you're happy with the result.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
The 3M kit is probably one of the best available, how did you messed it up? Lol. Just repeat the process until you're happy with the result.

I didn't mess up. It removed the yellowing just fine, but now its just hazy because of all the scratches. the 3m kit only went up to 600 grit, which explains the scratches. They should have AT LEAST taken it up to 1000 grit ..

Now my question is, I'm going to get 2000 and 3000 grit and some m105 .. but should I be wet sanding or just dry sand it ?

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
when i did mine i only wetsanded, and the kit mine came with had a small bottle of "clear coat" tat you just wipe over the headlights afterwards.

Back