Moving on from the Accord - 2011 WRX Hatch

xluben

Reaction score
Wow that's a a lot. The reason why I ask, is because is there a reason to buy STI and keep it relatively stock or buy WRX and mod it?

Btw, you never mentioned what kind of MPG you get (when driving normal city/hwy) :hide:
The WRX vs. STI is a tough choice. The STI is basically $10k more. For that $10k I now have a 460WHP car (vs. the STI is about 240WHP stock). But the STI still has the stronger 6 speed tranny and Brembo brakes (plus many other smaller things). The tranny and brakes would cost me $5-7k probably, maybe more. So it comes down to whether you think you need the tranny and brakes. If you don't, then the WRX is just as fast and much better deal. But if you are going to build it like I did, then the STI may be a better starting point (mainly due to the tranny, IMO).

My car gets about 15-16MPG in normal driving. I am on E85 so the mileage is usually about 25% lower than pump gas.

CHID0

Reaction score
Nice build. The WRX is a nice choice, although the MPGs on that puppy suck.

xluben

Reaction score
E85 is in the $2.90's right now for me, and Premium is in the $3.90's, so the price works out to be pretty similar. And it adds 50+ HP :)

turbo_911

Reaction score
So you are saying you have more HP on E85 than on Premium? That is very cheap price for E85. The closest station from my house is like 35 min, in another town and price up there is $3.17

xluben

Reaction score
So you are saying you have more HP on E85 than on Premium? That is very cheap price for E85. The closest station from my house is like 35 min, in another town and price up there is $3.17
On a turbo'd car you can push boost and timing a lot higher with E85. It has an effective octane of well over 100. It's like race gas for super, super cheap. Downside is 25% lower gas mileage, but who cares when it makes as much power as race gas that costs $10/gal or more.

I still pay 4.19 for 93, you all lucky :( Although I assume cali is much much worse.
California has 91 octane crap. No one wants that. It probably makes 100HP less than E85.

xluben

Reaction score
Ask anyone with a turbo who tunes their car. Would you rather have 91 octane or 105 octane (E85)? You'll make loads more power on E85 and it's way cheaper too. E85 is like a godsend to people who want power and have it available locally. There are some downsides (lower mileage, need higher capacity fuel system, often harder to find, etc), but if you want power it's really a no-brainer. For this much power it's either buy E85 or buy race gas at 3-4x the price and way, way harder to find. And believe me, no one want Cali 91. They call it piss water for a reason :)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Ask anyone with a turbo who tunes their car. Would you rather have 91 octane or 105 octane (E85)? You'll make loads more power on E85 and it's way cheaper too. E85 is like a godsend to people who want power and have it available locally. There are some downsides (lower mileage, need higher capacity fuel system, often harder to find, etc), but if you want power it's really a no-brainer. For this much power it's either buy E85 or buy race gas at 3-4x the price and way, way harder to find. And believe me, no one want Cali 91. They call it piss water for a reason :)
So tuning on E85 is better than doing 93 for a daily? I find there is a fair amount of E85 stations around me.
Glad I live opposite of California then haha
I know its supposed to be a great state, but just about everything there seems to suck in some way.

xluben

Reaction score
Many people hate it for daily (for the reasons I already mentioned). If you have the setup for it (and tune for it), then it can make a lot more power. If you're running an NA car or are untuned, then it will probably worse in every possible way. Do a Google search. Lots of info on this. Just make sure you're looking for performance/tuning info, not "green" info or "will it save money" info.

Back