Moving on from the Accord - 2011 WRX Hatch

SykVSyx

Reaction score
i-fcnZRNW-L.jpg

Talk to me about what I'm looking at here.......:coffee:

Is each gear wheel at the top, one of each of the 5 gears?

xluben

Reaction score
The numbers are crazy, and I can imagine how hard it would be to not be able to open it up in the city.

Tracking it at all?
Haha. I get to open it up at least a couple times a day usually. It's a little much to be flooring it in the city, though, so mostly highway.

I usually go to the track once or twice a year. Last year I did the road course once and the drag strip once. This summer I did a mini road course and then the bigger road course. 3rd gear blew out on the bigger road course so that was cut short.

soo... bigger turbo, increased boost, header and exhaust nets you 492whp? damn.....

and new motor? u blew one already?
Yes, bigger turbo, more fuel, bolt on's gave me 462WHP / 492WTQ the last time I was dyno'd. Since then I added the headers and the exhaust, so it should be a bit higher.

The stock motor blew after a few months at 400+ WHP with the bigger turbo. The new one is basically the same, but with stronger pistons, rods, bearings, etc.

mpgzzzz lol
It gets about 16MPG on E85. It would probably get 20MPG on pump gas, but it would make less power.

STRAIGHT CUT GEARS <3 :drool:
Yes, they're fun :)

i-fcnZRNW-L.jpg

Talk to me about what I'm looking at here.......:coffee:

Is each gear wheel at the top, one of each of the 5 gears?
The ones along the top connect to the motor. They are the "input" or "drive" gears. The ones on the bottom are the driven gears. They connect to the wheels. From left to right it is:

5, 4, 3, 2, R, 1

1st, 2nd, and reverse are straight cut. 3rd and 4th are upgraded helical cut gears. 5th is stock. Here's a photo of the broken stock gears vs. the new ones. This photo doesn't show the straight cut 2nd gear.

i-QLjBCxr-L.jpg

SykVSyx

Reaction score
^Thank you, for that, I never really understanding the gear box setup, much appreciated.

The advantage of the straight cut gears are better "grabbing" ability vs the helical gears which can lead to more slipping?

Why wouldn't all 5 gears be straight cut?

xluben

Reaction score
^Thank you, for that, I never really understanding the gear box setup, much appreciated.

The advantage of the straight cut gears are better "grabbing" ability vs the helical gears which can lead to more slipping?

Why wouldn't all 5 gears be straight cut?
No, there isn't really any slipping or grabbing with any of the gears. In either style all of the gears are always meshing with each other (as seen in the photos). The gears spin freely on the shaft until they are locked in place when you shift into the gear.

The difference between the two styles is noise and thrust load (and therefore power holding ability). Helical gears are what you find in all normal road cars. They are nice and quiet. The downside is that the angled tooth produces a thrust load which can lead to failure at much higher power.

The straight cut gears have a loud whine, but they do not produce any thrust loads so they can usually handle a lot more power. You wouldn't want all 5 gears straight cut on a street car due to the noise. Just 1st and 2nd is bearable because you don't cruise along in those gears.

Watch these videos to hear the gear noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NW35_2LFM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpzzHuaPLnc

ejreams

Reaction score
Thanks for posting and explaining this stuff, I have 0 knowledge of transmissions and you explained it in a way that I actually understood.
Kudos.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Thanks for posting and explaining this stuff, I have 0 knowledge of transmissions and you explained it in a way that I actually understood.
Kudos.

^This "boat", I am in it with him.

Much appreciated.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just as a little fyi also - that noise whine you hear when you reverse in most cars is straight cut gears as well.

Emphasis

Reaction score

I believe the bottom end of the gears (countershaft cluster gear), please correct me if I am wrong on anything; will connect to the drive shaft, then differential.

Pertaining to an AWD vehicle such as Subaru, how will this process work?

Back