MPG/Fuel Consumtion Issue...brainstorming ideas..???

finch13

Reaction score
^ Secondary O2 sensor does nothing except monitor catalytic function by comparing the secondary against the primary reading.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well put on new FPR, Cap, gasket, plugs...for 2 full tanks it was good. Now its going downhill again...damn thing is making me go crazy. On top of that i got a code of P1456 today too and found out my gascap loose(and i mean loose) and i remember 100% tightening it last time.

So now thinking some1 is stealing gas from me lmao.

finch13

Reaction score
Hahahaha, could be. I broke my gas cap and it wouldn't seal, definitely threw a P1456 until I bought a replacement OEM one from TASAuto.

I was browsing TSBs for our car today. They have a TSB on the "Running Too Lean" code. It's because of water in the FPR and the fix involves replacing the FPR and replacing/rerouting the vacuum line going to it.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hahahaha, could be. I broke my gas cap and it wouldn't seal, definitely threw a P1456 until I bought a replacement OEM one from TASAuto.

I was browsing TSBs for our car today. They have a TSB on the "Running Too Lean" code. It's because of water in the FPR and the fix involves replacing the FPR and replacing/rerouting the vacuum line going to it.

Well ever since replacing the FPR, the running too lean code hasn't come back. I ran into that TSB too, that was mainly the reason why i went after the FPR. I only replaced the FPR though as the vacuum hose seemed fine. Cleaned it out and back in it went. Im just starting to think an external force just doesn't want me to get good mileage lol. Im still amazed how my gascap went loose on its own...like it was loose to the point where if the gas door wasnt there it'd prob wiggle off and fall. I even inspected the gas door and there was no pry marks on it but iunno:run::run:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well a bit of an update to this to see if anyone has any ideas...My gas consumption is still crap and it's at a point where i don't know what the fudge is doing this now.

-Overall the following have been replaced/done on the car lately...iridium sparkplugs, ngk wires, cap, rotor, brakes=wagner pads, rotors, shoes, drums, new battery terminals, ac belt, alternator belt, fuel pressure regulator, pcv valve, air filter, both o2's changed with new densos first time fit.

I have...checked grounds, seafoamed car, ran STP injector cleaner, cleaned TB, oil changed every 3000km, tranny fluid changed once a year, rear o2 has defouler due to aftermarket "cat under threshold code".

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
has the raw fuel smell dissapeared since replacing the FPR? if not, you may actually have a gas leak.

Well i actually left the car on today when getting home, went and took a sniff at the exhaust(of course not put my face at the tail pipe) and to me there's still a gassy smell in it and not a little on at that. I'm going to have to ask a buddy of mine to come by tomorrow and park both cars next to each other and compare the smells lol.

As for the leak, i parked the car over cardboard for 1 week straight. Not one flipping stain on the board.

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
there has to be an inefficancy between the engine and the wheels thats casing you to have bad mpg.

auto or 5MT? if auto, is it working well. MT is clutch slipping? do you rev to 6k every shift? :naughty:

dragging breaks? check pad and shoe wear. check e-brake

worn wheel bearings

low compression. do a compression test. could be blown rings...does your car burn oil? any oil in your coolant ie. blown headgasket

Back