My J32A2/6MT -> 2001 V6 Accord Swap Thread

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I may be kinda confused here, how does ****ing up the lca angle more

By lowering the subframe more

To close that stock hood

Because you're costing possibly handling, engine side mounts.

If you really want this engine lower, consider new mounts, oil pan/pickup/capacity, exhaust, better cg!, or cut/space hood.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be kinda confused here, how does ****ing up the lca angle more

By lowering the subframe more

To close that stock hood

Because you're costing possibly handling, engine side mounts.

If you really want this engine lower, consider new mounts, oil pan/pickup/capacity, exhaust, better cg!, or cut/space hood.

Yup, there are definitely other options out there, I know Derek went with hood spacers and has been happy with the results.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I am happy with the results, but I plan to swap out the hood spacers I went with, come spring.

It's a personal preference, lowering the subframe can have potential issues, cutting the hood, can have issues, spacing the hood can have potential issues.

My mechanic wasn't comfortable with lowering the subframe, and I wasn't about to cut my hood.

Styx2015

Reaction score
Checked out the pictures of your spaced hood. I've gotta be honest, I'm really not a fan. I would much rather have the flush lines and nice fit on the hood.

Sorry to keep asking so many questions. What would be the issues with spacing the subframe or cutting the hood? I'm trying to do this entire swap myself, and I really want to do it right.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Yeah, some days I prefer the closed hood, and other days I don't care.

With the subframe lowering, you are putting strain on the front suspension/mounts.

With cutting the hood, you weaken the structure of the hood, somewhat.

It's not a huge cut that needs to be done, 99CFEnvy cut his CF hood, and I don't think he has had any issues with that.

Out of all the options, I would say cutting the hood is probably the least problematic.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Rich and I machined some solid steel spacers about 5/8” thick, roughly 2.5” in diameter. Used a drill press to bore out the bolt hole. I’ve run them on the car since the swap (June of 2011). Haven’t had any major issues, though it could wear some suspension parts a little faster, but it’s not a huge difference at 5/8”. I don't hear any noises or feel any shakes. I wouldn’t go a full inch though, that’s asking a lot of the cv joints and other components in some situations/terrain imo. I think the J35/37 IM’s are no larger a profile than the J32, or smaller. In fact I’ve heard of people using them to avoid having to worry about the taller motor.

To cut your hood, you just cut out some of the structure spans where the IM would otherwise hit. And you probably have to lose the insulator, or at least some of it. Not really a big deal. I'd go that route, or see if you can fit a lower pro IM. If you go with spacers, just don't go more than you need for your setup.

Last edited:

Styx2015

Reaction score
Awesome! You guys have been an incredible help! Not sure what I will end up going with, but I'll have to toss around some ideas and see if I can find a reasonably priced J35/37 IM out here. The engine and tranny are getting pulled out of the donor 03 CL-S this weekend. I will undoubtedly have more questions and I will set up a swap thread as well. Thanks again for all your help!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Do your homework on the IM solution before you buy one. Make sure it will work, I've heard of people doing it but not sure what all it entailed.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Two things,

1. Consider the J37 IM from the 2009+ SH-AWD TL since some of those other options are not something that really appeal to you.
2. Start a build thread so as not to thread jack someone else's thread. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back