Mysterious Vibration / Wobble

joeygkb

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a problem that's been with me for about two months now. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Maybe you more knowledgable fellows can help me diagnose this.

1999 Accord 2.3L 5-speed manual lx @ 169,283 miles

The problem is a really bad vibration coming from the front end of the car. This happens only when
1. The car is in any gear
2. At lower & higher RPMs, it's not really there at about 2100 to 3400 RPMs
3. More throttle
4. During/after a downshift when there is pressure on the motor

In more detail:
Regardless of speed, taking the car out of gear and letting it coast makes the vibration go away. You feel it in the steering wheel, in the dash, seats and floor. If you push opposite of the gear on the shifter, you feel a choppy feeling in the knob. Regardless of speed, when pushing heavier on the gas, it becomes a heavier vibration, almost a wobble and there is a sound that sounds like motor being placed under heavy load, but it's louder than I think it should be. If I start beating on the car and shifting quickly, yet hard, it gets so bad that it feels like a wheel is on it's way to falling off. But when I sit at a traffic light for two minutes and the car has a few to chill, it goes back to the normal vibration. If I downshift, it gets really bad while there is a lot of pressure on the motor. While revving the engine in neutral, there is no vibration. I have brand new tires on stock 15s, none bent and the tires are balanced, aligned and there's only 1k miles on them. Engine mounts are all new with about 5k miles on them. All torqued and show no signs of wear. I did the 9 & 3 as well as the 12 & 6 tests on every wheel and there was no play at all.

I am the second owner of the car and it's been serviced in upstate NY it's entire life by Morehead Honda. I have every record of service. It's the original clutch & flywheel. Catches perfectly and the car overall runs exceptional expect for the vibration.

Depending on shop, I've been told its a few different things. For the most part, when driving normally around town, it's not bad, but still exists. When banging gears, it gets worse and stays worse until you stop a a light and the car has a minute or two to chill and then it is magically smoother. No lights, nothing.

It makes my car feel cheap and I'd love to know what this is so I can have it fixed. Axels all look good, the ball joints and tie rod ends are in perfect shape. Help!

Thank you all in advance!

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
^ that's where I would have gone almost first thing. At 169 there's a very good chance one or more has gone out.

joeygkb

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response but yes I changed all four mounts. Did the front three myself and did the rear at a shop with the foreman. He let me do the job with him because the shop wasn't busy and wanted to be sure it was done the right way. I just didn't have the means of lifting the car at my house to do it.

joeygkb

Reaction score
As a side note, overall there is a lot of play in the drive train. Which had me change the mounts, two of which were bad. Now I'm thinking it's clutch/ flywheel related since they are the original and have never been serviced.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for ya.

But I would like to say its nice to see people ask questions in a very detailed, well written fashion. Leaving out almost no details while including background. Good luck finding the answer!

joeygkb

Reaction score
Thanks, cleansweeper. Glad someone still appreciates detail and some grammar! Every detail is important while diagnosing a car.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if the suspension all checks out (as you stated w/ alignment, wheels, etc). Axles aren't bent? Try checking the bushing on the jackstaft? Only thing I can thing of since it happens under load would be the transmission itself.

wnt_2b_boosted

Reaction score
When I test drove mine before I bought it. It was doing something similar and felt kinda like a wheel was out of balance... But that wasn't the problem the guy I bought it from had the axels replaced and now its as smooth as silk.. So I went ahead with the purchase and haven't had a problem sense.

Emphasis

Reaction score
I was originally thinking engine mounts; but I am certain one of the shops would have found that already.

I would suspect the flywheel. Due to how the part operates, and the symptoms your car is having.

Back